WAAG 3 Piece Brush Guard Installation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Millsap

Reaction score
Here is what comes in the box: the brush guard, 2 headlight guards, 2 mounting brackets, instructions, and all necessary bolts and nuts.

brush1.jpg

The first step was crawl under my ST and remove the plastic splash guard that covers the tow hook assembly. It's the plastic splash guard that covers the bottom of the radiator. It has two metal tubes emerging from it. The plastic splash guard has three screws to remove in the front and two screws on both the left and right sides. I was very careful not to disturb the metal tubes emerging from this guard. Be careful when removing the guard, there is a possibility that dirt and grime could fall in your face. I advise wearing safety glasses to protect your eyes. Here is what the splash guard looks like removed from my ST.

brush2.jpg

Since I had the tow hooks installed on my ST, I had to remove them long enough to sandwich in the WAAG mounting brackets. As I mentioned before, this guard will install on STs equipped with or without the tow hooks. <B>WARNING, TOW HOOKS ARE HEAVY!</B> I removed the front tow hook bolt, then slowly removed the rear tow hook bolt. I had my wife holding the tow hook up while I did this, so it would fall and injure me. Below is a picture of the two tow hook bolts that had to be removed in order to remove the tow hook.

brush3.jpg

I removed the tow hook. Since I did have the tow hooks, the instructions said to use the original tow hook mounting hardware (bolts). I placed the appropriate WAAG mounting bracket on top the removed tow hook and reinstalled the tow hook with the original tow hook mounting bolts. The WAAG bracket is sandwiched between the tow hook mounting plate and the tow hook. If your ST doesn't have tow hooks, appropriate mounting hardware is included with the brush guard. Below is a picture of the WAAG mounting bracket installed with the tow hook. In the picture, it is the black bracket on the left side of the tow hook.

brush4.jpg

I repeated the same process to install the WAAG mounting bracket on the other side of my ST.

The next step was to mount the brush guard on the newly installed brackets. I had my wife assist me in holding up the brush guard to the brackets while I installed the necessary bolts and nuts. There are two bolts and nuts to install on each side of the brush guard.

brush5.jpg

Here is a picture of the brush guard installed without the headlight brush guards.

brush6.jpg

The next step was to install the headlight brush guards. Each guard attaches to the main brush guard with 4 bolts and nuts. I did run into some difficulty trying to install the two middle bolts of these brush guards. It was difficult getting a wrench on these two bolts. I repeated the same process for the other headlight brush guard. Below is a picture of the installed headlight guard and the bolts.

brush7.jpg

The last step was to install the top support braces for the brush guard. I had to open the hood and remove an existing screw under the hood. This brace attaches to the headlight brush guard and to my ST at the removed screw location. I repeated the same process for the support bracket on the other headlight guard. Below is a picture of the support bar and mounting location.

brush8.jpg

I checked to make sure the hood would close correctly and that my Bugflector II would clear. Everything cleared okay. I then tightened all brush guard bolts and nuts following the brush guard instructions. Here is what the brush guard looks like fully installed.

brush9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts