wandering rear end.............the ST... :)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love one

Reaction score
I have a 4x2 ST and occassionally have to drive through a dirt road. when I drive on the dirt road, I have to go VERY slow (<15 mph) or I feel the rear of my ST sliding to one side or the other. :angry: My dad has a 4x2 Ranger and he has similar problems.

What can I do to gain more control? I have driven this same road in other vehicles (Rav4, Navigator, Jeep GC) with no problems.

Thanks!

:D

I have Monroe Sensatracs.

My front end is good....it's my truck's rear that wanders! Could it be the rear sway bar? My next purchase is the EE sway bar.............

Last edited by a moderator:
if my rear tires get wet, I lose all traction in the rear. I was going through an S Curve about 3 weeks ago, about 25-30mph and there was water on the road from sprinklers, and soon as I started to turn, the truck went sideways. THankfully there was no cars coming, cuz basically I drifted through corner. I felt the truck start to tip.. thankfully I corrected it before I went over.

I strongly recommend Rancho RSX or Edelbrock IAS Performers, period. The first gen. ST is based on a Ford Ranger frame. I recommend those 2 shocks because they are designed for trucks, whereas the Monroe's are car shocks adapted to trucks. I found out this info. from talking to the people at the local 4 Wheel Parts store this afternoon. :D

I have the crappy OEM tires. It's fun being able to spin out the tires on purpose when it's wet. It's not so fun when you dont expect it.

I"m on Michelin tires. I didn't get the RSX because of the stiffer ride. Will switching to Reflex shocks help? how about the addition of an EE rear sway bar?

It's probably just a weight issue. Pickup trucks are notorious for squirely rear ends because there is very little weight over the rear tires when the vehicle is empty, plus the stiffer springs and hard tires.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
The EE sway bar will be a big help.

Happy Independence Day!!

(Ma Nature is supplying her own fireworks around here tonight!)

Truck - high load capacity = poor ride

ST: solid rear axle with leaf springs

Non-truck - less load capacity = better ride

RAV4: Double-wishbone coil springs with trailing arms

Navigator: Independent with coil springs

Jeep GC: three-link with coil springs

Swaybar won't do a thing to help squirely handling on dirt roads. Swaybars only help the vehicle to corner flat and do nothing to improve traction.

...Rich

Latest posts