Want more HP and acceleration from my ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Love

Reaction score
I have a stock 2005 ST V6 4.0. The only mod i have is a flowmaster 50 series. I am planning on getting a K&N Air Intake, but they don't make one for the ST. There is one for the Ranger 4.0 and the Mustang V6 as well. Will a Ranger setup work on the ST? Also any other ideas to improve performance and gas mileage are welcomed.

I'm sure a 2005 expert will chime in, but these are part numbers from 2001 Job 2 on. I thought they were all pretty much the same after that.

2001 FORD Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6 F/I - from 7/00 Truck FIPK 57-2529-1

6.88 HP @ 5243 RPM

2001 FORD Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6 F/I - from 7/00 Truck 77 Kit 77-2529KP

5.32 HP @ 5059 RPM

Edit: top part is the black one, bottom (77) is the chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buddy, you're only going to get so far doing certain things to your Trac. Depends on how much you're willing to part with.

If you want to go psycho:

http://www.zabteckperformance.com/

If you want to go numbnuts:

http://www.explorerexpress.com/xcharger-after-60003-sport-trac-sohc-with-tuner-p-792.html

Oh, and if you want to get the same effect as the FIPK for $50, just drop in a k&n square drop-in oiled filter, and rip out the air box silencer.

The kit for the Job 2 2001 to 2004 STs are the same thing, any year will work with our '05s.

Also look into a throttle body from Zabteck, the Power Pulleys from them also, Random Tech Y-pipe and cat (also from Zabteck), converting all the fluids to synthetic and keep your tires aired up to about 35 psi or so.

Also, an XCAL will do wonders, or so I have heard, I can't speak first hand about it (but I will as soon as I order some tunes for mine), but the consensus seems to be that the XCAL is the best bang for your buck.

Why doesn't Todd sell TrukNutz on his site?

What ever happened to the numbnuts (and I say that respectfully) that supercharged his yellow trac? Did he ever get it working?

Here's my intake, I have an 05'

[Broken External Image]:

Nobleman, I would have to disagree with what you said about the drop in K&N filter with the air box silencer removed having the same effect as the FIPK. Initially I had that set up and only after switching to the full intake kit did I notice any significant gains in throttle response and HP.

Mike L, I shopped around a while before I decided to make the purchase cause I'm cheap like that and I paid 220.00 for it shipped. Best price I could find. Check out modbargains.com. Consider a modified throttle body from zabteck to compliment the intake for even more significant HP, throttle response, and MPG's.

I agree with HawaiianST. Also, change to a good synthetic oil like Amsoil, Royal Purple, or Mobil 1; and get a SCT XCalibrator II or III with at least one tune for better milage, the other tunes are of your choosing. I almost forgot to mention KEEP your speed down to around 60 mph when driving on the open hwy.

Here's a MAC setup with an oval K&N filter.

Also with Zabteck's C&L MAS

[Broken External Image]:

The list is long to get performance from bolt on equipment. I had the KKM intake, Zabteck updated MAF and throttle body, Y-pipe, high flow cat and a Gibson high flow exhaust. Along with a 87 performance tune from Torrie and I thought it actually had some get up nd go.

It really depends on what you want to spend. Remember it is not a V8 . . . .

Good Luck in your adventure for more HP . . .

That Explorer Express supercharger w/ BamaChips tune would make your truck something special!

But if you want to spend under $1500 I'd suggest pullies, cold air intake, xcal3 w/ custom tune, y-pipe, Zabteck throttle body and synthetic oil.

The Xcal3 programmer will probably give you the best bang for your buck imo.

I've changed the MAF before and I really didn't notice a difference with or without it on my 2000 S10. /shrug. I'd probably hold my dollar on that until I found a really great deal on one.

Honestly any bolt ons not supercharging will get you 210 RWHP.... Plain and simple...

I have every external bolt on....... Tested every one.....

I don't care what people say you will NOT GET 14 HP with just an intake on a ST.... Sorry..

IF i added up all the bolt on claims ( Not made by me) my st would be over 300+ HP,,,, HAHAHAHAH

Todd Z

Latest posts