Warped Head?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, this is a long story, so I will try to keep it short.

About 2 years ago, I had a miss in my middle cylinder on the drivers side. Swapped plugs and found that plug the middle diode was GONE, completely gone. Swapped plugs and all was okay. About 4 months ago, the truck started acting rough, and I decided to park it until the weather broke, and again swapped out the plugs. All was well until I went to pull that plug, and it was HARD To get it out, REally hard. After I get it out, it was just as hard to get another plug in. I put the plug in s far as I could, but still think its not all the way.

Now I am losing low end power and think I am losing compression from that plug. A friend thinks I may have a warped head. IS this possible and how hard would it be to pull the motor apart. I have another vehicle so time is not an issue.

IT is an 01 with 151,000 miles and I also have issues with the cooling system. When the T-stat went a few years back and I replaced it, I had to flush the system but it still never acted correctly and would regularly get air in the system causing a slight overheating before returning to normal. I Would also lose coolant regularly, but it doesnt look like its burning up. Any direction or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bill

Stripped sparkplug threads in the head. That can be repaired in place with a helicoil. Allways use neversieze on sparkplug threads with aluminum heads.

Sounds as if you may have a head gasket leak to a coolant pasage. From your discription. The 4.0 sOHC heads takes special tools to line the cam chains. One is at the rear. Depending on which head. The motor may have to come out.

GrimUSMC,

The heads are aluminum, so you should use an "Anti-sieze" compound on the sparkplug threads to allow for easier removal of the plugs in the future. It sounds like you may have cross threaded the sparkplug and that caused all you problems.

...Rich

I am going to bet that you have a slight head gasket leak, your prior posts sure do point to it. Even though you may not be seeing anything out of the exhaust it could still be there. When coolant enters the cylinder and burns it has a tendency to really "lock" the plugs in place