Warranty coverage problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lehuta

Reaction score
I have a question, I have a 2004 Trac that I bought new almost 2 1/2 years ago, it now has 29,000 miles on it. I wanted my alignment checked and since it's outside of the 12 month/ 12,000 warranty I took it to a nearby alignment shop instead of my dealer so that I could get a lifetime alignment plan. The shop doing my alignment said the right-hand front wheel can't be brought into Ford's spec and a shim kit will be needed from the dealer. Today the shop called me and said the shim parts plus labor will run me about $150. I thought about it and realized that there is also the factory 36 month/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty that should cover these parts so I stopped by my local dealer on my way home from work and explained my aligment situation. The service agent said that for me to come in for an alignment under warranty isn't possible since I'm outside the 12 month/12,000 mile point. Yep, sounds correct so far. They also said that if the alignment were to be checked by them and it was found that parts were needed then the parts and the alignment now be covered under warranty since I'm still in my bumper to bumper warranty. Still sounds correct.

I went home and called the shop that said I needed the shim kit and asked them if they were sure, they were so I told them I'm going to let the dealer correct this since the parts are covered under warranty. I called the dealer to schedule an appointment and the service dept had to "check" to make sure the shim kit was covered, the reply back was that it wasn't, it's considered an alignment item and alignments are only covered in the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. They also said that an part such as a tie-rod end would be covered if fond bad. Now things don't sound correct!

If I bring them a vehicle that can physically be aligned as is, that's one thing, but if there are parts (in my case a shim kit) that is required to align the front end then there is something physically not correct with the suspension or its parts and to me this seems to be a warranty issue.

Do I sound off base? Does anyone have any insight to this?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

the allignment is covered for the first 12 months 12K.. after that you pay,, even for the shim kit.. i believe its called a CAMBER KIT.. ford did this to save money.. do a search for camber kit on the site and you will find many members have had to purchase it..

troy

I went through the same situation. At about 25,000 miles, I noticed one of my tires wearing so I brought it in to Ford. They said it was out of alignment and I would have to pay for it, yadda, yadda. "Fine" I said. Went back the next day to pick it up, and noticed that they only replaced the camber kit on one side, aligned it and called it good. And it wasn't even the side that the worn tire was on!:huh: To make a long story (too late) short, I moaned and groaned and ended up paying for -one- alignment but -not- the parts. Guess I got the service manager in a good mood!:lol:

Moral of story: Check to make sure they did it right before you drive away! And don't be shy if it's not done to "your" satisfaction! Complain about it!

Mine was fixed under warranty. I had about 11,000 miles on it. Since the camber is not adjustable from the factory, it is likely your truck was out of specs when it left the assembly line. Issues such as this are why the US companies get such a bad rap compared to the Asian manufacturers. The Japanese and Korean car makers pride themselves on having tighter tolerances than US companies. In this case, Ford didn't even meet their own loose criteria for what is acceptable.

Buy the ecentric washers yourself, only like $15.00 or so, and install them yourself. The alignment shop is trying to bend you over.

Tom

Has anyone installed the ecentric washers? Is this easily do-able by the average person at home in the garage or is there special tooling involved? I'm thinking of installing them myself then take the truck back to the alignment shop for the aligment.

Thanks,

Steve

First off, alignment is ONLY covered for 12 mo. 12,000 miles. But for what it's worth, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, ect. are all covered for 3/36 or longer if you purchaced an extended warr.

Secondly you should try a different shop - the Ford recomended method of correcting the alignment on any Sport Trac since late 2002 is NOT to install camber kits (it won't hurt anything, but it's not necessary), but simply to remove the factory plate and replace it with a washer, position the upper arms as required and retighten.

It's not rocket science, but most aftermarket shops don't have access to the factory manuals and training.

Has anyone installed the ecentric washers? Is this easily do-able by the average person at home in the garage or is there special tooling involved?

I did them myself. Pretty simple. Jack vehicle up. Remove tire. Remove one bolt, remove non-adjustable washer, install adjustable washer, put back in it's hole. Repeat three more times. No special tools.

Tom

Tom, you can't install the eccentric washers on late 2002 - present Sport Trac without replacing the bolt portion as well.

Early Sport Tracs had the bolt with the locator flat cut into them, on that type the F5TZ-3C203-A cams just slip right on. Since late 2002 the bolt portion does not have the "flat" and the cams will not work without replacing the bolt.

In any event, the cams/bolts do not need to be replaced to align a late 2002 to present Sport Trac.