Water Leaks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Robida

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner

I have a 2001 Sport Trac with the sunroof option. Since it was new, I've had water leaking in from the sunroof switch when there is a heavy rain and the car is sitting. The first accessory I got for my new Sport Trac was a towel that matched the tan interior. The headliner and visor over the passenger seat gets wet too.

When moving the vehicle after a rain, I hear a loud sucking sound overhead and more recently the sound of water splashing around inside somewhere. I have the factory tonneau cover and have never had water collect in the bed.

As a side note, when the vehicle was 3 weeks old, I had to have the windshield replaced. Since the headliner gets more wet about 15 inches back and 2 inches up from the windshield, I don't think that poor windshield installation is the issue.

Is this a common problem? Has anyone found the solution?

Thanks, TRR

My 2001 leaked so bad that black and green mold started growing on the headliner. Now I have a 2007 which is about 2 months old and is already leaking. My dealer and I thought it was the sunroof so they replaced it. It still leaks. Now I'm thinking it's the windshield because the headliner is wet closer towards the front. I still have to go back to the dealer with this issue - Again.

I have a '01. I think the sucking sound is normal. Water gathers in the channel around the sun roof and when the ST shifts to the correct position the water drains. It scared the hell out of me the first 1000 time I heard it. I would say the sound doesn't have anything to do with the leak.

MY '01 has never leaked.

NYJohn, that's too bad that you have had the same problem with two consecutive ST's. Good luck with that. Oh and Go Braves. :rolleyes:

I had an issue with my sunroof leaking as well. There are 4 drain tubs ( 1 in each corner) and 2 of them had come loose. Once I reattached them the leak went away. Now I've developed a leak around the back window...

In my 2003 when lifting up the rubber mats the drivers front and rear and passenger side rear were soaking wet with water after some heavy rainfalls. The dealer did some water leak tests and serval leaks were detected. Leaks were repaired in the cowl area , right door piller and left door piller. After the next down pour the mats were soaking wet again. Back to the dealer again. Is water leaks a common problem for this vehicle and are there more sports tracs out there that the owners don't realize that they are having water leaks.

TRR,

Under warrentee My '01 was taken in 3 times for what they told me was the Sunroof leaking.

Turned out to be a replacement windshield. the seal on the upper right hand side was not right.They took the whole headliner down to find it.

there is a channel that the water sits in and gets into the ST.

Took 3 times after they found it, for the installer to get it right.

Might want to check if the windshield was replaced. Might be that.