Water on the engine = trouble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor CAD

Reaction score
Drove in a gigantic rain storm last night, like a 4" per hour downpour. The road was about 6" deep and traffic was very heavy and water was splashing well over the hood. The Trac did well.

I got home and parked.

This morning, it wouldn't stay running at idle, so I held the gas pedal down a bit to keep it going, but it was missing very bad and lots of stink was blowing around. After about 15 minutes of restarting and trying to keep it running, I opened the hood figuring that if there was enough heat that any water would dry itself out. After a few minutes, it started right back up and ran perfectly after that.

Would this indicate a cracked coil?

Any other ideas? (2003 Trac)

not realy. it just got wet, that's all.. I get the same symtoms after i powerwash the engine, which is why i always wash it when it is hot, so it'll dry itself out...

Could be water in a connector or air filter, IT dried and your back in business......

Todd Z

Spark plug wires are breaking down. I had a dodge van do the same. New wires all was well. I could even wash the engine afterwards.