water pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced water pump? I have 2004 XLT with 85K, have devoloped coolantr leak on the leaf side looking in towrds engine behind alternator, any information on how hard to replace or cost from dealer or grage. I have checked hoses and they appear OK. Any info would be appreciated,

Ivan

Yes, I recently replaced my water pump; actually my son did the work, but I watched. It is not particularly difficult, just time consuming. Plan for 2-3 hrs. Have your cooling system pressure checked before and after you do the work as there could be more than one leak. Had my cooling system pressure checked at a Firestone shop for $30. If your hoses have not been replaced go ahead and replace them too. Also, replace you serpentine belt with a 60" belt no matter what the make. I would also check for leaks around the thermostat housing, and replace the t-stat just because. Hope that helps.

Rodger,

I have seen you make the recommendation about replacing the serpentine belt a few times.can you clue me in as to why you changed to the 60in and if its as durable as the oem belt for my 02 ST?

My truck has 58K on it and I have wondered what the deal on the belt is.I have one other question for you too,if you don't mind-what do you think about the timing chain?Recommend changing it after so many miles or by age?My truck is now approaching 9 yrs old. If it did break do you know if that will wreck the engine or not?Thanks for the time and thoughts on this.

02gb

This is why:

re: Overheating Update.. by Todd Z,5/14/2009 16:50 PT

Yes, I like the 860 over the 865 any day It also puts the OEM tensioner back into the factory marks,.,,, the 865 seems to loose from the get go....

Todd Z

Also, Fast Eddie '04 did the same thing, on Todd's recommendation, and liked it alot. The OEM belt is 86.5" and going to the 86" is amazing what 0.5" can make. If you do a site search on "serpentine belt" you'll fine more good info.

Last edited by a moderator: