Waterproof Bed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Tallent

Reaction score
Can anyone who has waterproofed or made their bed a little more water tight, tell me what you did? I have the OEM cover and am going to seal the hinges with caulking and screws. I need to do this soon, due to the fact that I will be keeping the stroller in the back end.

Mine was leaking from the lock covers and I replaced the Butterfly taps (I think that's what they're called ) w/ nuts and bolts. There is a project on it . Also when my cover would not close all the way I loosed the bolts on the hinges alittle, make sure it was was sitting right on the bed-rail , I then crawled in the the bed and tighten them back up. You could try that, would not hurt and it's cheap to do ...LOL . Hope this is of some help.

Cajun's idea is a good one, as I had to do that myself. Also, keep all of your

sealing surfaces clean, as dirt in these areas can cause water or dust leaks.

An occasional wipe with a wet cloth and a mild cleaner will help to keep the

dirt off of these sealing surfaces. Another trick is to get in the back of the

Trac when its dark, with a flashlight and shine it on your sealing surfaces while

someone stands outside to see where the light is shining through. The areas

where light shines through may be areas that you need to pay closer attention

to for sealing. Hope this helps.

By the way, musty strollers SUK!

Don't use clear silicone to seal when you are looking for leaks with a light. The light shines right through the silicone and looks like it's still open there!

I also put a strip of insulating foam tape along the bottom edge of the bed that meets up with the tailgate. That keeps a lot of road dust from getting sucked inside the cargo area.

Latest posts