Weird flashing OD light, cause?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kil roy

Reaction score
my OD light started flashing this AM right after the ABS kicked in because i was on

ice. pulled over shut the truck off and then restarted it and no more light at this time.

should i scan it tonight when i get home if it doesnt come back on?

does it even set a code when this happens?

fortunately i have a $100 deductable warranty and free rental car if it is the trans.

The flashing light means that there was something out of spec. I would strongly suggest having it checked out, because, even though the light's not on now, there could still be a problem. There may still be a code in the computer.

IT should hold the code, But it may have tried to shift and the abs, and your braking threw off the shift and caused the light...

Todd Z

then i guess i should watch it for the next couple of days and if it comes back on

i will call the transmission shop.

woppy i have read of your BAAAAAAD experiences with transmissions:angry:

Oh, no! Don't get me started on the evil flashing OD light! My work Explorer did that once. It spent 3 months in the shop, in two Ford dealerships and another dealership when we got sick of Ford's technicians. It was a code for the torque converter solenoid. After having the trans. and the torque converter removed twice, the flashing light was still there. It cost over $3000, and still no fix. I finally "fixed" the problem with a piece of electrical tape over the flashing light. Rich M, just pray the code doesn't come up as the torque converter soleniod!

the worst part is my tranny is slipping again... i now wait patiently for the evil light to return... and when it does i will initiate my great plan to rid myself of the evil light once and for all. Ahhahahaa! [thunder and lighting flash behind me]

drove it home last night and in to work this am with no light.

forwarned the transmission shop yesterday what had happened

and told them i had a warranty with $100 deductable and they said

no problem we do all the paperwork for you.

im thinking it may have been a combination of the ABS kicking in

as it shifted while i was on the ice. going to run the piss out of it

the next few days and see if i can duplicate the light, if i do it heads

to the shop.

thanks for the help