Weird Solenoid Noise 2007

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. I have a 2007 with 30000km on it. After my last road trip I noticed a weird noise coming from the front passengers side. Sounds almost like a solenoid engaging and disengaging. I can actually feel it in the steering wheel and break peddle when it happens. It's not the fan and it does it when its in park or drive. It does not matter how long I have the vehicle running for. I can actually hear it in the cab. Any thoughts?

I know the sound you are referring to. I hear it when I press on my brake. I haven't looked ny further into it. I would be interested to know what you find out though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The A/C is off. I've tried turning it on and off, no difference. I just started my truck and opened the hood. Looking at the front of the truck, it's the clutch on the bottom left of the serp. belt. Does it consistently, trying to figure out what that pump is. Should it be doing it so often? even with the AC off?

V-6 or V-8? I'm not sure how the front dress of the V-8 is arranged. The only accessory that should have a clutch on it though is the A/C... everything else is driven constantly I believe.

Even when the A/C is off, it is still activated. It is only off in two positions. Don't recall which two but Off is not one of them.

This is done for many reasons, the main reasons are to cycle oil through the compressor to keep it and the seals lubricated.

If you want to know for sure, unplug the A/C compressor and then go for a ride.

I am betting the noise will be gone...

Maybe it is that electric fan clutch. Notice the wire running to the hub of the engine cooling fan? (Won't that be a hoot when the bearing starts to sieze up--probably will have to buy a whole front wiring harness...)

Played around with it a little on my drive home. Turned AC on as well as MAX AC. When I placed the position selector back I placed it on floor. No clutch action. When I placed it on MIX or Defrost it was active. Could it be that when defrost is active the AC compressor kicks in to take the moisture out of the air? I remember Honda Civics turning the AC on when in the Defrost position. Although the compressor turns on and off in the ST the AC indicator does not unlike the Civic. Sound like it could be this?

I also have a 07 ST. and yes when in defrost the AC will cycle. Fords have done this sine the earlt 90's. I is as Coastiejoe says, this prevents it from locking up over the winter from not being used.

I was about to post the same question - my 07 V8 does it too. I've always had that with all my Fords but this one is much more intense - very loud.

I also believe it's the A/C

there is a relay that engages everytime you step on the brake. it can be felt through the steering wheel and brake pedal. it is the relay that allows you to shift the vehicle out of park or from neutral to reverse. if you feel closely you can feel it in the shifter as well. i wrapped mine in dynamat and bolted it back down and now i can't feel it and can barely hear/feel it with the A/C off and the radio turned down.

um acctually i work for ford and it needs a new seliniod body(valve body). ive replaced about 8 of those here in past month. should be warranty. hope this helps ya.