weird sound and tranny

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grady Lawson

Reaction score
I've got an 07 st 4x4 and have noticed a sound coming from behind the instrument cluster when going down the interstate doing 75 or higher, and it seems to be worse the hotter it is outside. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. Also started to have the kick when it shifts down to first gear when stopping and have read other posts on this. Did taking it in to the dealership fix this problem. I have had it since february and I have about 8500 miles on it and these things just started.

Last edited by a moderator:
The klicking was mainly on the v8's, not the v6, but you never know, the dealer may have a flash for it...

The noise is probably the electronic speedometer, I would let the dealer have a look at it..

Also if the dealer is a PITA and says they will not drive your truck at 75MPH, then tell them it happens when at passing speeds.....

Todd Z

Grady,

I had the kicking sensation (although mine is a V8) -- the dealer changed the mechatronic assembly on the tranny. From what I hear, this is a valve body (please correct me if I'm wrong, anybody).

Question for you Grady - is this weird sound from behind your instrument cluster a clicking/ticking type sound? I have my Trac at the dealer right now for a weird sound as well. On mine, the sound is noticable at 25-30 mph, and gets a little louder when you get to highway speeds.

Let me know if your sound is similiar. My dealer, and the engineer that has been flown out there swear up and down it is the transfer case. They have replaced the transfer case 2x with no change in sound. Is yours a 4x4?

I think I found the noise that I thought was coming from behind the instrument cluster but got to looking around the front windshield seal and at the top on there is a grove on both the passenger side and the driver side that runs down the length of the top of the cab. I noticed on the passenger side were the seal overlaps the groove there was a piece of foam underneath the seal and on the drivers side there wasn't a piece of foam. I put a piece of foam underneath the seal there and wen't for a drive and sound is gone. Man those sounds are irratating sometimes and even harder to find were they were coming from. My tranny is still having the little thump when downshifting but only does it after I have driven a while. I wonder since it just started doing this and the temperatures this week have been in the 100's here if that has something to do with it. I thought about unhooking the battery and let it re-learn the shift points and see what happens before calling the dealership. Thanks for the reply's and lyonpride I hope things work out for you too. When you laydown hard earned money for a vehicle you want it to be perfect.

Thank you very much Grady -- I'm going to the dealer and suggest this as a possibility.

If you haven't already, take yours down to the dealer regarding that mechatronic assembly. After this was replced on mine, that problem was gone. I previously tried disconnecting the battery, but it did not go away.

Last edited by a moderator: