Weird starting issue.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wolf

Reaction score
About 5 weeks ago, I had the issue of it not starting, The engine would turn, but wouldn't fire up and run. Eventually, after about 15 minutes of trying, it started, and has ran fine ever since. Just figured the ST gremlen was under the hood.

Today, same thing happened. While under the hood making sure everything was hooked up, and trying everything, I ended up unhooking the IAC, and cranking the engine, it finally felt like it wanted to go, I hooked it back up, and everything is fine. Starts right up. and has kept starting the last few times.

Otherwise, it runs great.

I noticed some other had this issue, but smelled gas, I did not smell gas under the hood either time when this happened.

Going to clean the IAC. Possibly replace it if it looks ugly. We'll see what happens.

Anything else I should look at? I replaced the IAC once before @ about 75K. I have 107K now.

2002 ST 4x4.

Update: Pulled the IAC. A little dirty. Will clean, and see if it happens again.

Thanks.

IF it happens again, hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it... IF it starts it is the IAC valve taking a dump...

Also check the common vacuum elbow...

Todd Z

I actucally fixed that famous not too long ago. ( Thanks Todd! )

Also, a couple times, I did hold the gas to the floor, didn't seem to help. Just cranks.

Cleaned the IAC, seems OK for now, I'll probably clean out the throttle body tomorrow just for fun.

Thank You!

Double checked the famous elbow, still in great shape since I replaced it.

Also, not too long ago, I replaced the PVC valve as well.

Cleaned the IAC

Cleaned the throttle body. ( Had a little oil in there, not much, Normal? )

Started right up 5 times.

Looking at how this all works, it should have started by holding in the gas. That would open the air. We'll see if it happens again, and go from there.

Thanks, Todd.

All greasy, Good way to soend Easter. :)

By the way, Happy Easter, everyone.

Wolf,

After your truck sits all night, turn on the key but don't crank the engine. Leave the key on for about 10-15 seconds. That will allow time for the fuel pump to build pressure. Then after the delay, turn the key off and then back on and try to start the engine.

If it starts right up, you have a bad fuel pump that is leaking pressure. This was a very common problem on the early Sport Trac's 200102002 models. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and the leak is in the tank so you don't loose any fuel, just fuel pressure which is critical to the proper operation of the fuel injection system.

Turning the key on without starting will activate the electric fuel pump and give it time to build pressure. The fuel pump will shut off automatically after about 12-15 seconds if the engine is not started. After the pump builds perssure, you need to turn off the key tor reset the ECU and when you crank it the next time it should start up pretty quick. Waiting overnight allows time for the fuel pump to drop the fuel pressure. Usually after the engine is started it will start quickly all day as long as the engine does not sit for more than a few hours.

If your engine does not start it could be the IAC, but the IAC will usually allow the engine to start and then immediately stall. If your engine does not fire and then stall, It is probably the fuel pump leaking pressure..

...Rich

She did it again finally, after it has sat for about 3 hours.

I just turn the key, and it turns, but doesn't start.

I just did this because it worked last tie, but popped the hood, and pulled the plug on the IAC. ( I would think this 'chokes' the engine when I crank it, I may be wrong, I'm no automotive expert. ) after a couple cranks, it feels like it wants to go, hook that back up, and it took off.

I hear the feul pump come on when I turn the key, I read this after I already got it started, so next time, I will try the key thing, and see if that does it. If so, I will investigate the fuel pump.

I did replace the filter only 6K ago as well, so I wouldn't think the filter is too dirty.

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out next time.

Wolf,

IT might be time to simply replace the IAC.....

Also try the key trick..

Todd Z

Wolf, I would also suggest getting the fuel pressure gauge from the unknown person above me hahahaha, You can check to see if the fuel pump is pressuring the system that is the main reason I got one, Not a shameless plug. I will let Todd Do that._Ron

I have a buddy who going to let me borrow a pressure gauge, but I want my own. ( I have a feeling his won't fit anyway )

Expect me to get one on pay day.

Anyway, started fine this morning after sitting all night.

Lunch time. No start. :wacko:

I'm going to put a definate on the fuel pump.

I tried the key trick, but I don't hear the fuel pump run, I just hear a click when it should come on, and another click when it should go off. I'm not hearing that slight, familiar hum from it.

Since it usually finally come to, I'll keep trying. Hopefully it will come back at least one more time so I can get it home and work on it.

If your fuel pump is not coming on intermitently, I would suspect the fuel pump relay.

If they fuel pump does not ever come on, ithey truck would never start. Since it does start and run after some effort, it's probably a relay, bad connection or a loose ground wire.

...Rich

Three hours later, still no luck.

Since there are numerous relays under the hood that are the same part number, I swapped a couple around, no luck.

If I don't get her running by 5:00, I'm going to bum a ride home, grab my circuit tester, and see if the pump is getting power. Check that fuel shutoff switch, make sure it's not malfunctioning. Crawl under there, and make sure nothing is unhooked.

UPDATE:

Went out and tried like I have been, Crawled under in my nice work clothes, looked at all connectors I could see. No luck there.

Now this could be coiencidence, but I did notice the screw that holds the big connector to the main computer was loose, tightened it up. Wasn't even going to try it, but did anyway, Turned they key to "on" and heard the fuel pump whine. Turned it to start, and she fired up.

But I think, if that's loose, when I'm actucally driving, why doesn't it kill the pump then. Only seems to happen after it's sat for a while.

Maybe I'll play around with that connector, and try to recreate the problem. Right now I'm just trying to pinpoint what is happening, in the parking lot at work between meetings.

I need a drink. :)

That has to be it!?!?

I went out, and looseded that bold holding in the connector to the main computer, and fuel pump does not come on. I tighten it, and it works. Did this 3 times to be sure.

Of course I'm just hand tightening it right now, as I have no decent tools with me since the 11 year old swiped them to fix his bicycle.

I'll torque it down as much as possible with my fingers, and see if I can get it home.

Still doesn't make much sense why it hasn't died while driving, maybe I've just been lucky.

I'll report back if it happens again. ( Or even if it seems to have fixed it for a few days )

By the way, Thank You for the help so far. If that appears to be the issue hopefully this will help someone else.

Day 2 - Running great. No problems.

Also, it didn't have as much "get up and go" for a while, I wrote it off as having over 100k, no biggie, but even that has seemed to improve. Maybe something else wasn't making contact... But wouldn't that return a code, and cause a CEL?

I dunno, All I know is she starts right up, and runs great now.

I just wonder how it got loose to begin with, I've never had it off. Maybe just years of driving.

Since it's running good, I'll treat it to a good inside cleaning. :)

Day 3 - Still working perfectly. I'll officialy close with the computer connector being the issue, unless it happens again sometime soon.

Thanks everyone for the pointers.

I think I have the same problem on my 2002 ST as the symptons are similar. However, I can not figure out where the "screw that holds the big connector to the main computer" is. I know this is an old post, but if someone can post a picture of this potential culprit, it would be helpful to me and any others that come across this thread and have the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts