Well I had that bad DPFE thing..but I have a question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tig OBit

Reaction score
My check engine light came on the other day, and I thought before I start taking stuff apart I'll run it down to the dealer and have them check it out. I am out of my 3yr 36k warranty, but I bought the Ford ESp 6yr 75k warranty and am well within the limits. Of course I checked the MyST website and had a good idea what the problem was.

So I take it in and ask them to ckeck it out, figuring that worst case scenario is I will have to pay my $50 deductible under my esp plan if it's something that needs to be fixed. Turns out that the dealership wants $100 bucks just to diagnose the problem. And if the problem is a part that is covered under warranty then I only pay the $50 deductible, but if it's not covered, than I have to pay the $100 bucks and any costs to fix it. Why should I have to pay $100 to have the problem diagnosed. I thought that's why I bought a warranty. I know it doesn't cover everything, but I was under the impression it was things like brakes and batteries that it didn't cover. Everytime I have a problem I have to pay $100 bucks and then hope that it's covered under my warranty!?! Doesn't seem right.

Now at the end of all this I ended up paying nothing because it was the DPFE sensor that has the extended warranty but regardless, do all dealers charge this $100 fee to check my problem before they can even tell me if it's coverd under my warranty?

Most people who are out of warranty just went to the auto parts store and paid about $30 for the new DPFE sensor and replaced it in about 5 minutes.

Autozone will even read your OBD-II diagnostic error codes for you for free, but Ford want to charge $100 to prove that the DPFE is the problem. Ford also gave extended warranties to cover the DPFE problem for 5 years or 60K miles so it should not cost you anything unless you have over 60K miles.

...Rich

My thinking was that I could just stop in and have them check out the code and fix it for $50. The extra $20 bucks is worth it to me, rather than buying the part for 30 and tearing into things to replace it.

But after reading that post, I guess paying a fee to have them look up the code is pretty standard, although I must say pretty stupid.

Tig, that is the same way it went with mine, it was explained to me exactly the same, only I didn't have the best warranty, I had the one right under the premium so mine wasn't covered anyway. So yeah, it all came out of my pocket.

Latest posts