were is the stock amp

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler wright

Reaction score
i was wondering, when put my aftermarket radio in, were the stock amp in my 01' is. And i noticed that, when i put the adapter, in that one of the clips that was plugged in the stock radio didn't have a port on the adapter.

If your ST has the audiophile system the stock amp is located in the back storage behind the rear seat. Fold the rear seat down and there should be a plastic cover with speaker grill cover that opens to allow access to the amp/sub.

The clip that you are talking about should be the one that runs the amp. If you add an aftermarket radio to the audiophile system you will lose the stock amp/sub. THere are ways to hook them up to the aftermarker audio system but you have to purchase an adapter and do some other stuff to get them to work.

If you add an aftermarket radio to the audiophile system you will lose the stock amp/sub.

This is not necessarily true. If you buy the right wiring harness you can use the factory amp. I have an aftermarket sony player in my 01 ST that "had" the CD changer in it but the previous owner did not use the proper wiring harness to utilize the factory amp connections. After much study and help from others here on the forum, I found the right harness and my factory amp works fine. The only problem is that I get the "thump" sound from the amp when I power on the radio. My local stereo guru said I've got a power wire to the amp connected wrong but haven't had a chance to figure that one out yet. Hopefully I can figure it out over the holidays.

As I had stated on the prior post

THere are ways to hook them up to the aftermarker audio system but you have to purchase an adapter...
...Pretty much what LaBulldog stated on his post.....Adapter/harness, it's what I ment., find the correct one and you don't have to buy a second adapter/harnes, you can just use one as LaBulldog has indicated. Most places like your Walmart, Circit City, Best Buy and Target stores will not have the "correct" adapter to enable you to utilize the sub/amp and in that case you will need to purchase another adapter/harness to use the stock amp/sub. Places like Circuit City and Best Buy usually carry the adapater/harness to use factory sub/amp but will try to convince you otherwise to just install an aftermarket amp. Try audio specialty shops to see if you can find the "Correct" adapter to only use one harness. Try Crutchfield online as well for such harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try these:

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/search.php?substring=metra&page=2

http://www.installer.com/wires/

http://www.audio-discounters.com/manufacturer-metra.html

Crap, how do I post multiple links anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: