what a deal !!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas brandin 2

Reaction score
I really want to buy an '05 before they change styles. A month or so ago I went to the local dealer and looked at a $26,000 ST they had marked down to $22,000. They were going to give me $11,000 for my '01 in trade. Yesterday I looked at a $26,000 ST for $20,000 (family pricing plan) They wanted to give me $8500 for mine. With only 1000 more miles, it hasn't changed that much. Go figure..........................doug

I heard that because they wernt makeing as much on this plan that dealerships have started reduceing the price given on tradin's to ofsett the loss. The ol bait and switch trick , they have been doing this kind of stuff for years. Best thing I ever learned was to not trade in, sell it your self. Even if you dont get anything extra for it, when negotiaons are on for the puchace they wont have this way to shift the figures and throw you off gaurd. Good luck I wanted a new trac (4x4 insted of 4x2) under the family plan but have decided to wait 2 yrs after its paid off.

I agree. Anytime you can sell it yourself your better off. Bottom line. It is a business and they are there to make money. They will make money on your new vehicle as well as your old vehicle.

Just the way it is...

I have sold all my old cars myself for 20yrs. I always deal with dealers on a cash basis. Iwant to deal as if I will pay cash, even if Iam going to finance some of it.

I take good care of my cars. Even if they are 10yrs old, I always get more than trade when I sell it.

I've always found the following is true with my old car. Look up Kelly Blue Book Private Party value and Trade-In Value for you car. Once you have these two values I've always found the following to be true:

1. A dealer will always give you less than trade-in value

2. Trying to sell a vehicle for full PPV value can be difficult though not impossible

3. Sell your used car for a price in the middle of PPV and Trade-In value and it should be easy to sell

4. Advertise your car for sale at Trade-In value and you will sell it very quickly

The bottom line is I can always sell a used car at KBB Trade-In value very quickly. Yet that price is at minimum the most I would have gotten from a dealer for trading it in but in reality several hundreds more than I probably would have gotten from a dealer. In practice I've sold several used cars for family members and my own by selling them at a price in the middle of the two values.

When I dumped my 01 last year average trade for KBB and NADA was 12. I got the dealer up to 17.5. Your new vehicle needs to be dealer stock and one they need to get rid of to get the best trade possible.

grump

another factor is that since all the manufacturers are selling new ones cheaper, the used car market is overloaded with vehicles. This has gotten so bad that even KBB is having trouble keeping up with the plummeting used car vlaues.

This whole thing with "employee pricing" is a short term fix for the industry. The US market is in BIG trouble.

buzzard

I bought mine early April incentives and rebates were good. Trade in excellent. I have heard that the great deals are gone. But I hope the miracle deal is still there for you somewhere! :(

Latest posts