What could this be

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Wolfe

Reaction score
When i was parking turning into the spot or backing out when i turn the wheel the whole front end shutters but when i am driving an i turn at a road i dont get the shutter

Any ideas what this could be ?

Probably air in the power steering system. Drive slowly turning the wheel lock to lock until it the shudder stops. Otherwise, check PS fluid, pump, belt, etc.

This happens to mine if I turn the steering wheel (to inspect brakes, etc.) with the engine not running. Have you done this recently?

Do as sws suggests.

Could be your steering stops need lubed.....

Yes for metal to metal grinding sound and feel. No for steering wheel shudder or shaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most '01 to '05 wheel do this shuddering. When the wheel is turned to the stops. It is the load on the PS pump when the belt slips. I .5" belt can help.

Wasn't there a TSB to install a more powerful pump from the Explorer to resolve this issue?

Gavin, I think your right. Seems, that was posted by coastie joe.

I think that was to put a PS pump from the regular explorer. Also the same for the altenator whinning in cold weather. Fords fix was the regular explorer altenator.

Why Ford didnt' use those parts' on the trac orginaly, is a mystery...:banghead:

I get the same PS shudder in reverse, at full steering lock to lock.

Forgot about that. Six TSB's shown, three revisions for 2001. May be more for 2002-05.

Fixed !!

Just had to purge the air out of the powersteering system

Swshawaii, do you bounce back an forth between both forums ? You answered in the other forum too ;)

Thanks for all of the help!!