What do I Need to Tow a Camper?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon W9

Reaction score
OK, Sorry for another "towing" thread. I did some research here, but I am still a bit confused.

My mom has a camper, 20-some feet long, I believe 4300 - 4700 lbs. (probably unloaded)

I have an '07 V6 4x4, and I measured my hitch opening, and it is 2". I also have the round plug mounted beside it.

The V6 is rated something like 5300 lbs. and I know to include my gear, but my trips will be simple overnights, so I don't plan on using the sewage or loading up on water.

So, would I be safe to tow this without any additions to my truck? I would rather not spend a bunch of money on anti-sway and brake controllers. I could use her truck (Envoy) but would prefer mine. I figure if an Envoy can do it,an ST can.

I am only towing 1-2 hours in each direction, no mountains or anything, maybe 6 times this Summer at the most.

So, can I "get away" with doing this, or would it just be better/safer if I took her truck?

Thanks in advance.

No towing vehicle should ever need "anti sway" equipment.

I am sure she has a weight distribution hitch, that is all you need. Also, you should have an electric brake controller installed.

Tom

Thanks for the response.

So, the weight distribution hitch and brake controller would necessitate additional equipment to my ST? I thought that was possibly part of the round plug.

I guess I will just use her vehicle. It seems the easier way.

Thanks again.

She should already have a weight distribution hitch.

As for the brake controller, yes, you need one. The 7 Pin harness in the back is the correct hook-up. Spend $60.00 and get a controller. That way you will have it whenever you need it. It is already pre-wired for the brakes. Just connect the wires to the harness and plug it in.

Don't take this the wrong way. You seem to know nothing about towing a trailer. You may want to get some more information from your mom before you do anything else.

Tom

No offense taken. I admit I have no experience towing a camper, but I have pulled small trailers, boats, etc. These are all small, and have no brakes, or surge brakes.

I follow you on the controller, it doesn't sound too difficult.

Like I said, I can just take her vehicle, but was just checking.Heck, the concept of using the camper isn't even a sure thing, just checking option.

Thanks again Tom

I actually have to say Caymen is wrong on most everything he says and then has the audacity to insult you.

I tow a 29' camper that dry weighs 3740 and loaded around 4800.

"She should already have a weight distribution hitch." Caymen clearly does not know what this is.

You do not have a weight distribution hitch on the truck or camper already. This is a kit that is installed half on the truck and half on the camper. I love mine. Keeps the front end of the truck down for control and better for level towing. As far as antisway control. Caymen is wrong again. This is a part that you can get fairly cheep that is added to the weight distribution kit. It helps a ton. It keeps trucks that pass from making your camper sway.