What do you guys think of this Project???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Morgan

Reaction score
To build a STS style turbo set up for the ST....I was doing some research and seen one on an old chevy p/u....I think I might start getting materials and do this a winter project...Should be relativly easy to do..Just use the exsiting exhaust and plumb a intake tube to the front so when the hood is popped it looks there is only a CAI on it..

What do you guys think?? Have you seen any explorer have this???

Jeremiah

Yea I think the custom STS set-up on an 2001 Explorer has cost atleast $4000-$5000 if not more. He use to post on http://www.explorerforum.com/. Sounds real easy right? wrong. just adding a turbo isnt the problem its the tuning, the fuel pump, dyno runs (which add up) and a WHOLE load of other problems. Good luck tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have access to do Dynoing cheap!! I am only going to run around 4-5lbs...And I am not going to buy a kit but build it...I have alot of hook ups so it should be bad!! I have built many race cars, so this should be bad....I hang around alot of Turbo buick guys, so turbo info is easy to come by!

I'm interested to see it. I'm looking at doing a supercharger this spring/summer, not the EE kit, and it should run around $2k.

KCsporttracin,

I know a few things about turbo's. There are things that can make it difficult to turbo a car.

This will give you a round about number of potential HP by using a certain amount of boost.

4 to 5 LBS of boost, will give you about a 27% to 35% increase of power. To figure that out, use this math problem.

(B/14.7)+1*SHP

B=Boost

SHP=Stock Horsepower.

(5/14.7)+1*205=274 HP

I know the layout of the formula is wrong, but you get the point.

This is assuming your turbo is 100% efficient. We know that is impossible, but it will give you an idea on what you are getting.

Tom

I believe it was Horse Power on Spike that just installed a twin turbo from STS on a Vette. I don't recall the numbers but there was significant gains and apparently no turbo lag.

Good luck with the project.

marc

i seen the same show. I believe it was something like 60HP range. And of course...they made it look easy to install

Dan G

Thanks for the info..Anymore would be even better!! I am trying to be different and unique!! I mean how many people have them..None in the KC area!!

Turbos are the most effiecient, but who knows I might do a SCer before its all said and done!!

Go for the turbo! Start doing some searching online and read, read, read. There are options for tuning via reprogramming, a piggy back pcm module or a new pcm altogether. You should also consider an intercooler, and/or water/alcohol injection to help avoid preignition though that will be tough since you won't have to fab a new manifold. Use 3" tubing. The plumbing will be where you will have some fun as the engine compartment is a bit tight so you may want to consider moving the battery to the bed, and possibly open some space on the driver side which I think is a bit more roomy for the tubing.

It can be done, you'll just have to get past being your own guinea pig.

Spaceman Spiff....I will put it under the bed or cab, Like this www.ststurbo.com and keep as much as possible out from under the hood. Cause there isn't room, and underhood temperatures...Plumb the intake tube up to the throttle body..Its going to be a little while, I am just trying to get as much input and info as possible to gather all the research up!!