what height jack do i need for 03' Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Manhas

Reaction score
this may sound like a stupid question, but i went to buy a jack today to do a brake job and the guy asked me how high the truck is and how much it weighs.

i didn't know the answer to either. would a standard 2 ton jack that has a 5 1/2 - 14" lift range be ok? and how about jack stands

thanks bobby.

not sure about jack hieght, I will have to measure mine tomorw..Always use jack stands...2 to 3 ton per corner stands..I use 2 ton but I want to get some 3 ton..

A jack is used to LIFT a vehicle ONLY, and should NEVER be used to SUPPORT a vehicle. Only use good quality jack stands if you plan to do any kind of work on, around, or under a vehicle that needs to be in the air.

A standard 2 ton floor jack with a 14" lift should be plenty. You could invest in a 3 or 5 ton jack, but really, you don't need one that heavy duty. While the ST may weigh more then 2 tons, the jack isn't lifting the whole of the weight at once, and usually, the best places to jack a vehicle up using a floor jack will be suspension mounting points, which aren't that high off the ground.

I use a standard 2 or 3 ton jack, not the skinny ones either, get the ones that have a wider stance, and yes allways use jack stands..

I just rotated my tires today and the 2 ton worked fine..

Todd Z

Go to Sears I bought their jack that was called an "SUV" jack and it is perfect raises my lifted ST in 3-4 pumps. 3 ton capacity too.

I got a craftsman 3 ton bottle jack with an 18" height. Works fine as a compact jack to take with me for roadside emergencies, a pair of 3-ton stands, and a set of folding chocks. They fit nicely in the bed and are not in my way.

Latest posts