What is "Adaptive Learning Strategy"?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a used 2004 Sport Trac that, according to the owners manual, "...has a transmission "equipped with an adaptive learning strategy" found in the vehicle computer..." Question(s):

- What exactly is "adaptive learning strategy"?

- What does it do?

- Since I bought this vehicle used, does it need to be "reset"?

- How would I reset it?

- What effect does it have on the operation/running of the vehicle?

- How would a problem with it manifest itself?

- Etc., etc., etc...

- What exactly is "adaptive learning strategy"?

If you drive really slow, the tranny will shift that way. If you drive it hard, the tranny will shift hard.

For the second question, it was already answered.

It does not need to be reset, if you want, unplug the battery cable for a short bit and plug it back it.

It shifts hard if you drive it hard and it shifts soft if you drive it soft.

If there was a problem, the OD light blinks.

Tom

A couple weeks ago, I did notice the OD light come on without my pressing the button, but I didn't think much about it (my bad). Now there seems to be hesitation upshifting between either 2nd to 3rd or between 3rd to 4th when driving. I'm curious if this "adaptive learning" is causing the hesitation or if it's something else. I have an appointment with the dealership for Thursday, and I want to be aware of as many issues as I can. This adaptive learning is something I'm not familiar with...

Thanks!

Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you wish for peace, prepare for war.)

Sorry to tell you, but that has nothing to do with the adaptive learning strategy.

To be honest, avoid the dealer. They will use OEM parts that caused it to fail in the first place. An indenpendant should install aftermarket upgraded parts that will correct the issues that cause the problems in the first place.

You never stated your location in your profile. If you live in the NE Ohio area, I know a shop that wil do you a great job and a fair price.

Tom

You have what we call here "the 2-3 flare". Have the tranny looked at, especially if it's still under warrenty. The O/D light comming on, is the tranny telling you there was a problem. Quick response to that, means an easier fix compared to waiting and having to have the whole tranny redone.;)

Latest posts