What is breaking now? :-(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score

Problem #1: I needed to go to low range to help get out of my 18" of snowy driveway yesterday. When I shift from 4x4H to 4x4L, I get a very loud clunk after a 5-7 second delay. The shift from 2H to 4H is quick and silent, but going to 4L is horrible. Sometimes I get a long, slow "gear grind" when shifting into 4L. This has all happened with my truck sitting in my semi-heated garage (~40deg), and both with the engine cold or warmed-up. I've used 4L a few times before and never had the violent clunks, delayed engagement, or gear-grinding.

Problem #2: I get a loud "roar" from the front end when in 4H going down the icy roads. It goes away immediately when I shift to 2H. I've never heard the loud roar when driving in 4H.

My '03 Adrenalin has 50,000 miles on it, has never been off-road, all stock. Both axles are full of lube, the transfer case was changed, and transmission was flushed and filter changed at 30,000 miles. The transfer case lube is clean and full.

Any ideas?

Problem #1 is your transfer case going into the gears. I don't own a 4x4 myself, but my brother does and it does the same thing. His Explorer has over 150,000 miles on it.

Problem #2...I have never run his vehicle in 4x4 high.

Tom

Gavin,

Take it from someone that has driven through a lot of snow. We can get a foot at a time. You do not want to go into 4 low. Use 4 High. All 4 low does is add torque and you really do not need it in snow. It is more for tough towing. Stay in 4 High and you will have less problems. (My record is 30" of new snow, -20, and 25 mile an hour winds. - I made it with a Ranger in 4 High.)

The owners manual says going into 4WDLow a "loud Clunk" is normal...

And the groan is normal also...

Nothing wrong with the truck....

Todd Z

Okay, I have had 2 ST's (01 and 03) and an 05 F150, all three make more of a 'roar' when driving in 4hi. I attribute this to all the extra spinning/powered crap in the front, as well as the engine needing to put out some extra horse power to move all that spinning stuff in the front end.

The clunk is also normal, as Todd Z said, it states so in your owners manual. Sometimes mine did it, sometimes they don't. Usually they do. I like the clunk, then I know it is in.

My ST is 2 wheel,but I have driven a 4x4 suburbans for the last eleven years.If the transmission is spinning at all,that will give you the grinding sound.The clunk is pretty well normal.I never paid attention to any extra noises from the rear.Only from the front.I am gonna miss the 4 wheel drive, I used it at least a dozen times a year here in the TX panhandle for snow._Ron

Latest posts