What is normal gas milage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC Bowman

Reaction score
I just did a 1200 mile trip in a new 2005 Sport Trac. It has a 4.1 rear end. Cruise was set at 78 and over interstate with rolling hills, 2 adults and luggage. I got 17.8 MPG. That seemed a little low to me since our Mercury Gran Marquis (4.6-V8) normally gets 24 on the same trip. Is this normal for this model? If so what can be done to increase gas milage (other than slowing down)?

I do mainly highway driving and average 19 or so. My ST is a completely stock 4x4. I have seen as high as 22; typically in the summertime.

To improve mileage?

Increase tire pressure from factory 34 to 38 or 40lbs, helps a bit.

Remove the factory air silencer on the intake.........may help...a little bit.......

Wanna spend money?

The exhaust on the ST is somewhat restrictive. Replacing the factory exhaust with on of the many available aftermarket units typically yields a MPG or 2.

Xcal2 is a computer device that can be programmed to add a MPG or 2.

You can also replace the belt driven fan with a flexalite electric 16" unit. This way the fan only turns when it needs to, thus removing a bit of drag from the motor. I put an electric fan on another car and it only ran in traffic. On the highway, it didn't even come on....

There are many other things you can do to enhance the efficiency/performance of the ST, but I think these would yield the most in MPG....

The reason you will see lower mileage on the ST vs. the car with a larger engine is due to wind resistance. The ST has got a fairly large wind profile, and this will keep it's mileage more truck like and less car like.

cheers,

Your profile states you have an '05. How many miles are on the trac? From past discussions gas mileage improves after engines breakin period. If you under 10k miles this may be a contributing factor. Checking your tires air pressure may not be a bad idea either. As for "normal" mileage, there really doesn't seem to be any, there are members that claim 20+ miles to the gallon as well as others that claim 12-14. Too many factors. Also keep in mind winter is here and winter gas seems to play a part in poor mileage as well.

I have never gotten more then 19 driving on the open road. Of course I drive pretty fast. Get about 16 in town on average, 17 in the winter months when not using the ac. Afraid your not going to see much better. You can spend a lot of money to improve it by 1 or 2 mpg if you think you'll keep it long enough to capitalize on your investment. Otherwise, your out of luck.

I get about 19 HWY and 15 in town. I have a rear hich and hitch bumper bar, front bull bar and heavy OEM bed cover. The Trac weighs about 4800 pounds. Being a truck it has a poor air stream profile, lots of drag.

I average about 14-15 overall but I'm in town a lot. About 20-21 on the highway if I stay slow, which is rare. :D 3.73 gears with 32" tires too, I had a 4.0 SOHC Ranger with 4.10's before and it was screaming on the highway so I wanted something to slow the motor down a little on this one.

Stock I got about 13-17 MPG... With all the mods and tuner from wayne ( shameless plug) I have gotten 23+ on long highway trips. Of course that is keeping my foot off the front bumper.:)

Normal around town I get about 17-18

Todd Z

I recently did 500miles at 80mph, 60% 0f the time....I got 18.1 mpg on my '04 ST

I expect more as the engine loosens up...