What is this going to take to fix?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, noticed this (see pic) going on recently underneath, at the front of the drive shaft.

41813565db4a9d9daebcc44bada04adb.jpg

7b71901237db6278d24f34a81acb8a3d.jpg

Is this something to be concerned about?

How intense is it going to be to fix it?

Thank you for any replies.

Hmmm, IMO it looks like the seal on the trannie is leaking, judging from the "wet" areas directly above the shaft. I'm no mechanic but, I don't believe Ford paints thier trannies and you might, I said might, have some cracks in the housing. But since I see fluid around those cracks, I think its just blow out. A seal is probably what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like a pinion seal is leaking.Mine was 102.00 installed at the dealership. As far as the "cracks" go,I would take a rotary tool or an abrasive cloth and see if they are real or just the finish.

The foil should not have the oily spray on it. I think it's the extension housing seal assembly . It shouldn't be too expensive, DIY or pay a professional.

;)

The seal p/n 7052 is $14.12

just in case:

The bushing p/n 7A034 is $24.98

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the input guys!

I wiped off a lot of the oil/dirt and took a closer look to it. Almost all stuff that looks like cracks came off. There was an inch long line that remained. I scratched at it a bit with a scribe, and doesn't seem like much, if any of a crack.

Regardless, I think I'm going to take it in soon to get fixed.