What is this grill/vent?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, you would think that Ford would at least have their manufaturer void that vent on those dashboards that are going to the ST's. Oh well, I guess it was cheaper to just let them sit there like an extra useless finger on your hand! BTW< does anyone know if those same "useless :wacko:

vents" are somewhere the new 07 ST's?:wacko:

Use it for an aftermarket ventilation fan if you have a high-powered aftermarket audio

system, as I do! Put the little 12 v. fan behind the dash, right behind the grille, and it will

keep a 250 watt audio system/DVD player mighty cool!

(The type of fans you find, or put on your home computers!):D

The same dash was used in the 1995 to 2001 Explorer and still used in the Rangers. It is much more cost effective to use the same kind of dash for all vehicles. It is where the ETC on a high end Explorer would get its internal temp readings.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

I swear that my 04 Audiophile head unit has a fan in it. After extensive use and when it's hot, I can clearly hear something whining in there. It stays on even after turning the headunit off. So maybe that little kidney-shaped vent has a use after all? Or not, as Robert Poole just explained what it was for.

mrmayvn-

Since the '07 can come with automatic climate control, a similar vent isn't useless on those models. Of course, on models without automatic air conditioning, the vent is useless.