What kind of aftermarket speaker do you have? How do you like them?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Starr

Reaction score
What kind of aftermarket speaker are out there in ST land. Im looking at either getting the infinity set of components for the front with matching coalxials for the rear or else the Alpine type-R components for the front and matching coalxials for the rear. I have a Clarion apx400.4M to power them which allows 4 x 90W RMS.

Let me know what you have.

Dallas

i have infinity componants in front run by a kicker 402xi amp..... and kicker 5x7's in the rear doors plus my 10 inch kicker comp sub under the rear seat.......it sounds great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Infinity Reference speakers in my doors. If I was you I would look at spending money on a decent sub woofer and amp then buy the component door speakers. Your just never going to get that good of bass out of 5x7 speakers.

MB Quart Reference Series Component set 6.5" in all 4 doors with a MTX MXA-6004 powering them (This amp puts out a measured 185watts RMS per channel. its a 4 channel amp). These sound crisp and clean. not a ton of low end mid bass, but thats due to my crossover settings, I let my 8" JL Audio 8W3's take care of the lows.

I have a set of Infinity Perfect 6.1's and they sound amazing, if you want more mid bass and higher output go with the Alpine Type-R's. If you go Infinity you will get a more "tinny" sounding tweeter in the highs and not as much low end thump as the alpine's.

I might consider selling my perfect 6.1's... they are new. but they retail for well over 600cad per pair. I think Ebay sells them for cheaper.

So if you are not adding subs, go with Alpine, if you are go with a SQ set like high end Infinity or MB Quart.

DO NOT get the Infinity Reference series Components or coaxials. they sound like poop and don't last. If you want Infinity get either the Kappa series or the Perfect series. I worked at an install shop that sold all these products so I know what they all sound like and how they perform.

Tbak you Adam, Thats all I was looking for, a fellow albertan watching my back...hahahhaa... The alpines it is, I'll be buying them today.... by the way... if anyone wants to buy electronics check out www.indoaudio.com

Thats where Im buying mine from

Dallas

I've got some Polk 6.5 components in the front doors, Infinity coax in the rear, and a 12" polk belting out the bass.

The speakers are powered off my aftermarket headunit at only 50W per channel, but sound really good. The Infiniti's (forget which series I have, Kappa's I think) ring out some nice highs, and the components up front fill in some great midbass, with the highs being very, very nice. I've got it all running on crossovers so I don't over work the door speakers, in addition to the crossovers for the components.

You really need a new headunit before you get new speakers though, with the stock headunit you won't notice a great improvment over sound quality, there just isn't enough power. You won't get distortion or or anything like that with aftermarkets, but they won't sound as good as they can. Also, you don't really need to spend a lot of money to get good sound. At some point, the extra money spent on high-end audio will be lost going down the road with the road noise, unless you soundproof the car with layers and layers of sound deadener...

I have the JL TR coaxial 5x7s in my front doors... kenwood 5x7s in my rear, but it dont really matter because my seats folded down to hold the sub, so u cant hear the rear speakers much neways... but anyways, i have a 100x2 blaupunkt amp im ognna be running my JL front speakers off in the spring, and then i have a JL 250.1 amp runnin 1 JL10w3v2 in a spec ported enclosure, i hit about 130-132dB and very clear and clean sq system..not even goin for spl.

Andy

3-way mtx in all 4 doors and 2 - 8" california acoustics in the cwells box... Sounds good to me..

Todd Z

My MB Quarts are on the plate I made to fit the factory opening.

The closer that you can get your different drivers together, the better your phase coherence and time alignment, thus a better shot at decent imaging. Also, barring any wierd thingies in the interior and your gear, the closer they are to being on axis to your head, the better the sound quality.

I have JBL 3 ways on my doors.....don't recall what series, I'll have to check that when I get back home, N-E ways they sound crisp and tight even when I put the rear seat(s) down, they were still able to sound off some nice tunes if I crank the radio up to about midlevel on the Stock 6 CD changer and now anything above level 3 on the Sony deck installed has them sounding tight with no distortion even when I crank it up into the 30 levels.

I'm using Polk 6.5 inch in my front doors, and Pioneer 6.5 inch in the rear doors.

Can't say much for quality control on the Polks, my first set had a woofer rattle and I had to return them to Crutchfields for another set.

I put Dynamat around each of the speakers and that helped a great deal. Didn't cover the entire inside of the door, just a section around each speaker opening.

Latest posts