what kind of gears??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Cronin

Reaction score
im going to run 35's BFG MT's in november with 7-9 inches of lift, and i heard everyone saying to go with 4:56, but i was just wondering what kind i should go with, where i could purchase them from and do i have to replace the whole gears set or just the ring and pinion??

Yep, 4:56 is the way to go, thats what I'm running. As far as purchasing, I got my gears done at a shop. But definitely go with 4:56 gears, you won't be disappointed.

What are you going to do with it... ???

the 4.56 is the way to go to keep around the same match you would have with 4.11 and the stock 16's....

You want added torque for mudd and off road, get between the 4.56 up to 5.00

Todd Z

Go with name brand gears. Yukon are one of the best. There is a vendor on EBay ("discountgearing" i think) that I got a quote from for Yukon gears, front and rear, with both master install kits for around $550 for parts only, which is the cheapest I've found. It'll cost you at least another $500 and probably more to have someone install them. Labor rates for gear install seems to vary greatly so call around first.

The only other options then 4.56 are 4.88 and 5.13. 4.88s would be best if you plan on offroading quite a bit because they'll help compensate for the heavier wheel and tire combo. 5.13s would be best for offroad only. 4.56 would be best for mostly street with occasional offroading.

stick with 4.56. im running 5.13 right now with 36s. the power is great, and gas is awesome in the city. but highway sucks!!! 4.88s are still a little low. youll def notice you have diff gears. 4.56 will bring you back to stock almost.