What oil in 2004 ST engine?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iwould use a good syn-blend or full syn. Most majors are good oil. Motorcraft syn-blend is good oil. Always use 5W-30 in the 4.0L trac motor.

Dont mess with no name cheap oil.

Oil is oil. The American Petroleum Institute has standards to be labled service grades. There are only a few refiners out there.With that being said, buy what you like. Some brands are better than others and some out there are junk.

A few bucks here and there are not going to save you any money in the long run. If you are so broke, you can not afford decent quality oil, you are best off riding the bus.

With that being said, I use a high quality synthetic oil and change it once a year.

My Trac has 110,000 miles on her and she runs fine. My wifes Explorer just turned 200,000 miles. Of those 200,000 miles, we have had her for the past 65,000 miles and have been doing once a year oil changes.

It costs more per oil chance, but it lasts about as long as plain oil and filter 4 times a year.

In the end, it costs the same, but I don't have to do it as often.

With the Explorer, it is a game now how long we keep her. Each month we have it is money in the bank. If I drive it 1 more year, that vehicle cost us $1,000 a year to own. Much less than anything else on the road.

Use oil you like or are comfortable with. If useing Wal-Mart generic oil makes you comfortable, go for it.

I would use Amsoil and extend your oil changes.

Whatever you do, NEVER use 5W20 oil in the 4.0L engine.

Tom

Using synthetic is between you and your wallet. Some oils ARE better than others as far as holding viscosity over time and wear metals parts per million (ppm). Getting a used oil analysis (UOA) is the only way to know for sure. I belong to a site where people get UOA's and post the results in different engines. I can save you $25 a few times over and tell you that Motorcraft oil is hands down the best stuff for the money. Pennzoil and Havoline are also very good for conventional oil.

I got good UOA's with Mobil 1 but better UOA's with Pennzoil Platinum which costs a buck less a quart.

Use 5w-30. It is what the engine is designed for. Grandpappy may have used straight 30 weight in the Farmall for 30 years but it isn't the same thing. Modern engines have tighter tolerances and are designed to be run with thinner oil.

The manual says to change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.

While its true that synthetic oils retain there viscosity longer and do not break down and wear out as fast as dinosaur oil , it still collects dirt and contaminants. Changing out the filter and topping off with a fresh quart is an excepted method. I figure if I'm under the truck anyway I'll just change it and with Wallymart selling mobile1 in the 5 quart jugs for $24 its not all that much more money. And it makes me feel good.:supercool: