What Shocks are best???? Too many choices

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Sammons

Reaction score
What shock should I replace th factorys with.. they have 22000 on my 2001 ST and it rides like a tank.. any input willhelp

I amm looking for the smoothest ride possible. the trac is the family truckster if youknow what I mean.. and mommas preggered again.. so she gets cranky when the ride is rough

I put shocks from les schwab on our Grand cherokee and they are ok.. but I want SMOOOTH

Monroe/Napa Reflex, or Rancho RSX's. There the same shock except the Rancho's have a boot like the Procomp's.

I have the Napa Reflex and I'm very happy with them.

BDS. Thats the only way to go. Rancho bushings are rubber and will eventually dry and crack. BDS are made of neoprene and will last alot longer. Also, before you mount them, spray them with a couple of coats of clear coat spray paint to help weather proof the actuall shock housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Monroe Reflex on the front which absorbe bumps very nicely. The combination of the KYB Monomax on the rear (which work with the sprung weight); we also have the Explorer Express anti-sway bar AND the Roadmaster Active Suspension that fit on top of the leaf springs (which work with the unsprung weight). The ride is incredible. I have come to the conclusion that the RAS is a MUST regardless of of what shocks you put on, or whether you upgrade the anti-sway bar. Just ask anyone that drove our ST at the Kingman, AZ meet. After driving over 1200 miles, round trip, from Sacramento, CA. to Kingman, AZ. I have found the addition of the RAS to be absolutely indespensible on any '01 - '05 ST. :):D;):wub::cool:

Hi Sam! A couple of weeks ago I spent a great deal of time looking at the posts regarding shocks to decide on a set for myself. I found out that everybody's happy with their own aftermarket shocks and that their ride got better, smoother, more firm, more stable, etc. So there is no real answer as to which one is the best. At the end of the day, you'll still be asking the same question. :) The good news is that everybody seems to agree that you'll never go wrong replacing the stock shocks.

But as for me, I got the Rancho RSX. :)

I have the rancho rsx. Very happy with the stability.

I read above and I have heard it stated on here before. That the ranchos have rubber bushings. They are a silicone bushing. Harder than rubber, but softer than poly.

Maybe for a ride that is alittle softer you might consider the monroe sensatrac...

I just got the Pro Comp 9000's. Not as smooth as I'd had hoped for but man does it handle well now.

I have the Rs5000, I am very happy with them. Do just a little off-road, but I am really happy. The ride isn't to bad, just a little stiff though.

DW

Latest posts