What to do? 116k miles - all breaks lose Warning: rant : )

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan DiMassa 2

Reaction score
:D

Hi all,

Dan here I have been on this website since 02, but can never remember my Alias.. so I'm not a newbie here, just an idiot with bad memory.. lol

Remember in Billy Madison when Adam Sandler yells in the kid's face to never grow up? Dont let your sportrac's hit 116,000!!! haha

Need some advice for my 01' - Por Favor.

Problems:

One Key. Last week my "headlights are on chime" stopped working. yadda yadda.. spent all last night outside in the NJ rain paying a tow truck driver to break in and jump my battery (and rape me) - since keys/wallet inside truck with dead battery (fun fact: I could get to my jumper cables in unlocked bed, but not to battery)

Now Ford wants (to again rape me for) over $100 for a second key (cant program a 2nd key yourself, only third+) for a truck on its last leg.

Again with the synergistic ailments. AC stopped working. It has a major leak, doing a quick black light test I didnt see any dye, but shop said major leak. (anyone else have this problem, condensor?)

But, last month my driver side window, seems to occasionally fall in and out of track. Haven't ripped it apart yet. Nothing like being stuck in traffic with no AC or down driver window. (any one else with this problem?)

The other silly stuff:

Rear inside door handle broken

Hard bed cover locks broken

Power mirrors shot

Besides that runs pretty well, 18 mpg highway (I have long commute), Mobile 1, tires in good shape..

Knowing this:

Do I fix all this stuff?

Run her into ground?

or buy another used sport trac? (either trade in or sell locally)

or buy a a cheap econo car, and just use the truck weekends for lugging jet ski, surfboards, kayaks..etc

Any advice will help or encouraging words from 01'ers with tons of miles..

Im a 25 yr in a tough economy so dont say trade it in and buy the blue 09 Adrenalin I want very badly (unless you can furnish ski masks, alibi, getaway driving skills..etc)

thanks!!

:inhales deeply and sits up off dr.s lounge:

Dan,

You can always email us for your information to sign in to the site rather then clutter the server with a new member profile.

Also, since I can fix most that stuff my self I personally would fix it. The truck is not on its last leg as long as the motor and trans are good and work well and the body is not shot.

Also from the things that are bad, it sounds to me like it was neglected for regular maintaince...

Todd Z

Hey, With only 116K miles I think that I would start fixing that which is most important to me. Then move on to the next.

JMO Ed

Hey, Home Depot in South Plainfield will make and program a transponder key for $65, way cheaper than any dealer or locksmith in the area.

Also, I'd reccommend buying an additional ford transponder key blank, can be found for around 10$ on ebay. Get that cut (I guy a home depot guy to do it, by throwing him a couple bucks, but it's store policy not to cut keys that aren't theirs do you might have to try around). Once you have the second you can program the third, an always have a spare. Tat way if you lose one you'll still have 2 left so you can always buy another blank and program it yourself, rather than paying someone else to.

I agree with the others that it's worth fixing as long as the body, engine, and tranny is in good shape.

great points.. I try to keep her very maintained and the outside looks brand new.. Thats why I refused to trade her in so far.

Jokingly, how do I maintain the door chime? Rotate it every 5k.. Just kidding (I know you meant an extra key) Great point Todd and I couldn't remember my email from 02 and didn't want to waste your time.. my bad

Many thanks :D

Dan, Not a waste, I can look it up by your name, state what ever.....

The door chime could be a fuse, or something simple......

If your capable of fixing it, do it and keep her for a while....

IF you have to pay to fix, Then get the important stuff like the window and key done....

A good locksmith can do the key too..

Todd Z

It's almost always cheaper to repair a vehicle like yours than to replace it. But I also know from personal experience that sometimes you replace it because you just get tired of fixing it!

My sport trac is an 01 with 162k I had the timing chain rattle from 96k on and other than that never had any other problems. and now I am putting a v8 in it... I just kinda really like the one I have... it would have been more LOGICAL to buy a newer one but I decided to do something entirely different. It all depends on how much you like your Sport trac. Right now however is a really good time to buy a new car from just about any make.

I wonder what I'm doing right. The only thing on my 2001 ST that doesn't work is the driver's door switch. As a result, the dome light, key-in-ignition reminder chime, and headlight on reminder chime don't come on. I guess I shouldn't have used all the spray-on lithium grease on the door latch, eh? I think it got in the switch.

I loved my 01. Had over 100k on it, and only the recalled tranny was an issue. Even after 60 mph into, through and over a ditch, suspension still worked. Put over a ton in the bed, and she still drove like a champ, but stearing was really super easy! Now I have my 05, and there has been nothing wrong. At 50K now, and still trucking!

Stuff will happen, but not to everyone. Sometimes when it rains it pours, do I need to continue with the stupid cliche's?

Just do the repairs one at a time, and the truck will give you another 116K of joy!

:banana::D:banana:

Last edited by a moderator: