what to do about a exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathen lloyd

Reaction score
ok, im ready to make my st sound off a little but am in between a cat back system and just cutting off my factory muffler and putting on a 40 series flowmaster.for the money and the overall turnout as far power, mpg,and sound what do you folks think?:unsure:

Well an exhaust isn't going to give you that much more power like a couple of HP, if that. As far as mpg not many people have noticed any great increases in that either. As far as sound, its a V6 so its never going to sound like a mustang.

Flowmaster 40 or a Magnaflow system is going to give you a deeper sound and some (little) increases in power and mpg.

My advice is to get onto youtube and see the different exhaust setups people have on 4.0 Ford Explorers or Sport Tracs and see what you like.Its all a matter of preference

Also, put in a Cold Air Intake and remove the Silencer in front of the air box, that is if you do not remove the air box entirely. That will give you better sound too. It will never sound like a V8, but it will sound alot better. Consider Magnaflow or Basani too.

I just put the Flowmaster 40 on my '07 and really like the sound, not very deep, but throaty sound. I haven't noticed any increase in mpg nor more power, but these days fuel economy is a little bit more necessary than power on a 70 mile round trip daily commute, so hopefully I'll start noticing some difference soon.

One thing (if you go with muffler replacent as opposed to a cat-back system)is to make sure the hangars (you'll need extras)keep the pipe well off of the axel! I had the installer redo mine and it is so close to the axel, I hear the rattle over the sound of the exhaust!:angry:

Pappy, sounds to me like someone didn't do it right. If you just installed a muffler your exhaust shouldn't sag...

Simply removing the football field of a muffler will give you the max MPG and performance you will achieve....

With that said... Doing any thing like duals, larger pipe, is simply cosmetic and sound...

IF you do a y-pipe or highflow cat, that will net some more mpg and HP, But those are things you may want to do later on in life...

Todd Z

I'm very happy with my FM 40, it doesn't sound like it's trying to be something it's not. Nice growl outside and in, with only short, minor droning at certain RPM. I haven't looked back since I replaced my FM Delta Flow 50 (too mellow). I have an 04 with stock cats and pipes and have a Volant intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, clo650, the place where I had it done came highly recommended, but the tailpipe always looked too low (approx 5 inches under the rear fender) even at the dealer where I got it. I took it back and they put an extra hanger in the rear but I guess I'll have to do it myself..."if you want something done right..."

I guess it all depends on the placement of the muffler (because of the monstrous OEM one), forward or back, but there is a hanger right where the existing one was. Still doesn't explain why the pipe rides on the axel...hmmm:huh:

I do love the sound tho! (not the rattling!)

Pappy said:
Still doesn't explain why the pipe rides on the axel...hmmm

I do love the sound tho! (not the rattling!)

I see you have an '07. On my '08 the pipe hit the rear axle also. Not much room up in there.

I ended up pulling the tailpipe mounting thingy all the way through the rubber hanger to yank it over a little bit and now it's just right.

Yeah, Johnny, it ticks me off. I was actually thinking about going dual, but makes it very hard to do that with such limitations. OH well...

when I can get time I'll go back and make sure it's fixed right.