What to do??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beegle 2

Reaction score
So just looking around on Craigs list to waist some time I found a wrecker 2004 Explorer parting out. It is a 4.6 V8 4x4! Have to call for price.... now the problem is get the Super Charger that I've been looking at or ask about this and do a V8 swap???? What would you do?

V8 swap if you have the ability and it can be done legally. I don't see too much reason in doing the SC on our little 4.0. The V8 would be more powerful and reliable than a SC 4.0. IMO

I don't think that the 4.6L Mod V8 will fit in a Gen 1 ST. Even though your ST is a 2004, the 2004 Explorer is on a completely different chassis.

I mean, it may not bolt up like the V8 from a 2001 explorer, but it could be made to fit right? I mean shelby put a 427 in an AC bristol. I'm sure it didn't "fit". I dont know though just speculating. Only V8 swaps i've done have been into mg's and believe me they definitely didn't fit.

Yeah I wasn't to sure if it would fit or not..... I've been toying with the idea about a 5.0L. I have a large amount of experence swaping and rebuilding 302's. Which is also the problem. I know to many tricks for 302's and the tricks can get expensive. My last mustang I owned with a 302 ran 10.20's in the 1/4.

Without a lot of time, $$$, and cutting/fabricating, I don't think the 4.6L V8 will fit. It's been discussed on here before, and the consensus is that it's more trouble than it's worth.

However, member Don Donaldson in FL is currently in the process of installing a 5.0L V8 and AWD from a 2001 Mountaineer. See his library linked below for pictures. I believe he's also documenting this process for a project write-up.

TrainTrac,

Yeah I've seen a couple of his posts before updating everything. Some issues that have come to mind, Mine is 4x4 and I'm runnng 4:56 gears front and rear with 35's... i'm looking for the extra torque and power but worried about destroying drive shafts.

The 4.6L engine is TOO WIDE for the 1st gen Trac. Use a 302 from a 1996 to 2001 Explorer.

Tom

I think you would be hard pressed to find a 2000/2001 302 expie in this country, as the only engine offered in this country for those yrs was the 4.0.

Granted the mod potential for the 302, to make more power is there, but OEM to OEM the numbers for the 4.0 and the 5.0 are about the same.

waste of time and money IMO.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a 2000/2001 302 expie in this country, as the only engine offered in this country for those yrs was the 4.0.

V8/AWD was available on the 2000 and 2001 Explorer Eddie Bauer and Limited.

5.0L/302 is basically the same engine. If you're saying that that wasn't the V8 offered in '00-'01 Explorer/Mountaineer, then to what V8 engine are you referring, Bill?:huh:

Every bit of specification info that I can find for 2000-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer shows 5.0L V8.

99-01 Explorers were and are made and are readily available in the US with a 302 V-8 5.0 or whatever you want to call it. :wacko:

The Explorer also came stock with the highly wanted GT40 heads as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically the 302 is a 4.9L.... LOL.....

Just playing around...

As for drivshafts, They can be made by a drive shaft shop to hold 1,000 HP so don't worry about those..

Also the ST in FL with the v8 is also 4wd..

Todd Z

The explorer came with the GT40P heads. Some thing was different from the FR GT40. I dont remember what.

Were 5.4 liter engines, maybe demensionally the same, don't know.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Expedition[/u]? The 5.4L Triton V8 is a modular-block design, like the 4.6. So there's no way it would fit in 2000-2001 Explorers/Mountaineers.

Trust me, it was the 5.0L/302 small block Ford pushrod V8.

TT, your right 302 pushrod in all the early model V8 explorers.

Eddie your correct, the 302 5 liter engines were used on the EARLY pre 2000 expies, the 302 was not offered 2000/2001/2003.

Except in the EB edition EXPLORERS, and the engines they came with were 5.4 liter engines.