What to do??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, I just sold my 2000 Explorer XLT with the 5.0/AWD last year. The 5.0 was offered until 2001 in the Explorer. In 2002, the 4-door Explorer went to the larger chassis and got the 4.6 modular motor, the 5.4 has never been available in the Explorer. I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but it's wrong.

Sorry Bill, but I still believe you're wrong. All the specs I can find on the pre-2002 Explorers/Mountaineers only shows a 5.0L/302 pushrod V8 as an optional engine in certain trim levels. There's nothing about the 5.4L modular V8 at all. Hell, it won't even fit in pre-2002 Explorers/Mountaineers.

So on what are you basing the claim that pre-2002 Explorers/Mountaineers had the 5.4L modular V8 as an option?

Thats what I meant about the early explorers. Before they went to the larger chassis. Even in the larger chassis. There never was a 5.4 modular. Only 4.6 V8 and 4.0 V6..

Google, 2000, Eddie Bauer explorer specs, click on the moter trend article, second one down.

Than tell me dan that the 5.4 has never been used in an explorer.

TT you referanced The EB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google, 2000, Eddie Bauer explorer specs, click on the moter trend article, second one down.

Than tell me dan that the 5.4 has never been used in an expie.

Is this thread about Explorers or Expeditions?:blink::D

Motor Trend made a mistake!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the MT web page is hosed up. First of all, the picture on the 2000 EB Explorer page is actually an Expedition. Second, why would Ford have offered the 5.4 in just the EB trim, when the Limited was the top of the line trim level? Doesn't make sense from a fiscal/business point of view.

Finally, the MT web page is the only one that shows this info. Every other source for information on pre-2002 Explorers/Mountaineers shows the 5.0L/302 pushrod V8 as the optional V8, not the 5.4.

The MT article is referencing the Expedition, not the Explorer, as TT and Mookie pointed out. If you read the other vehicle info listed, several of those items also pertain to the Expedition, not the Explorer.