whats the worst??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgie Hidalgo

Reaction score
so heres the deal....im moving up to school in 10 days. ive had the same stock shocks for 61,000 miles. i kno lol. i want to change them before i leave but i dont have the money so i probably wont change them netime soon. im wondering wats the worst that can happen havign shocks that long? well besides feeling every bump on the road n all that. but can anything really happen to my car or my suspension with bad shocks? just wondering

I had an Oldsmobile that I ran on bad shocks/struts for a while. Then one day I went over a set of railroad tracks and the strut tower on the rear drivers side completely blew right threw the wheel well. Thank goodness I know how to weld.

I had a '69 Camaro with really old shocks, back in 1990 when I bought the car I swore they were original. The car looked as though it were a low rider. I bottomed out a lot and felt every pebble on the road. One time I hit a pot hole and the tire blew out. It could also put a little more strain on the springs, coils and frame of the car. I still think though that you'll be ok around town.

When they really get worn, and you cross over a set of RR

tracks, (or similar), it will take a week for your steering wheel to stop

shaking! At least that's what happened to me.

Dangerous situation......Better get new ones, IMHO ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
-Boss 313 Wheels 22"

-Hankook Ventus 265-40-22

-Jensen VM9311 Touchscreen tv

-painted calipers black

-1.5/3 drop

-6000k Helio HIDs

-Flowmaster 40 series exhaust/no tips

-Smoked tail lights

-Clear corners

-Custom yellow fogs

-Billet grille painted black

-DUB emblems

-10% tints all around

-Custom painted dash plastic(black)

-Custom painted interior pieces(black)

-Aspec Air Intake

-Reverse Strobe Lights

How can you not afford $50.00 for shocks? I woulda prioritized a little better. Sorry, I know these preferences are personal and all but just about everything you say you have done would have covered the cost of shocks.

Your tires will wear out very quickly, you will lose control of your vehicle on bumpy surfaces, and people like me will point and laugh becuse you are driving around a vehicle that looks like it has a cheap set of hydraulics on it. :lol:

Tom

some one cuts you off, you make an evasive maneuver and roll the truck...

Old shocks will get soft and bouncy over time...

Also are you old shocks shot ???

IF you push on the corner of the bumper, does the truck bounce and down after you let go ??

Todd Z

before i lift my truck, my '01 had original shocks on when i hit a pot hole or got cut off by some lady my truck would bounce off to the shoulder of the road:( very scary when you have other people with you.

I agree with Grumpy...A safe ride and vehicle control comes before the pretty stuff and performance mods. The factory shocks were junk right off the assembly line. I changed mine out at the first 1000miles. Two weeks ago you could have got monroe reflex or sensatracs for less than $150. Borrow the money or charge it. The intrest will be well worth the control and ride difference.;)

My 01 Trac was very splashy on bumpy surfaces, and would even loose contact with the road (rear wheels). I just installed Rancho5000's all around. The ride is stiff, youll still feel the bumps, they just wont cause the truck to bounce around and you wont loose contact with the road. Shocks are a safety issue, and not very expensive to replace. Perhaps you could borrow some money or charge them and pay back when you do have the money.

Do as Todd said. See if the ST bounces for awhile to see if the shocks are bad. You can also do it going down the road. After a bump, does the ST seem to just keep bouncing? If so, you need new shocks.

As for what the other's have said, they do have a point. Does it need to be thrown in your face? No. There are shocks out there that won't break the bank and will keep the ST safe. You don't need "name-brand" shocks. Hell, I spent the $$$ on Ranchos and does anyone see them? Nope. So if you want to get new shocks, shop around and find some that fits into your budget.;)

well i never really cared for shocks unto about a year ago. and in that year i havent done anything to my truck ive had the same truck besides the TV for xmas that i got. and if theyre $50 i woulda bought them buy now, theyre more like $200. so mainly wat can result from bad shocks is tire wear and losing control? hmmm yea ill see if i can get a set before i leave. and ToddZ yea the truck moves even after i let go it shakes in all directions lol

I got a set of Sensa Tracs at Sears, installed, for $200. Even generic stuff from the parts store, installed yourself, shouldn't cost more than $140 or so.

and if theyre $50 i woulda bought them buy now,

Just did a 30 second search - you're right, not $50. $15.99 each front and back, so $60.00 at Auto Zone.

If you were happy with what you had for 61K miles, you don't need $200 shocks. Get the OE.

Latest posts