Wheel bearing grease

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
I'm going to pull my front rotors off my 2002 and have them turned. They have never been off the vehicle and I would like to know the proper grease to use to repack the bearings. Also, do you normally pull the bearings out prior to taking it to the shop...or do they need them to turn the rotors?

Also, what is the correct procedure regarding the spindle nut?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grease type and spec listed in linked pdf. Valvoline Moly-Fortified Multi-Purpose Grease meets Ford's spec. (Ford M1C75B)

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/moly-fortified-multi-purpose-grease

Thanks....looking at the Y-Tube videos on Explorers it seems that the rotor and hub/bearing assembly are separate. But based on the pdf file above, the rotor and bearing assembly is all one piece, attached to a spindle...which is what I expected. Thanks..

Wheel bearing grease for disc brakes.

Absolutely remove the bearings (you don't want metal shavings in there); they are not needed to turn the rotors.

On the 4WD, the brake rotor and "unit bearing" (hub and bearing) are individual parts. On the 2WD, the bearings (four parts per side - two inner and outer bearings and races) are inserted into the rotor and that assembly is mounted on the spindle (as an assembly or piece by piece), held in place by the spindle nut (and parts).

If you have 2 wheel drive you should re pack your bearings, you then tighten the bearing and turn back the nut to get the cotter pin inserted. On 4 wheel bearings they are a sealed unit and usually need to be replaced every 5 years or so depending on if they are howling. :supercool:

I bet the rotors are not turnable ... They are so close to min thickness already. I don't bother turning rotors anymore. I throw new pads on old rotors after scuffing them up or buy new ones. Turning rotors warps them in my experience...jmho

Job is done...had the rotors turned, installed new pads, flushed the entire system, and even had the proper grease sitting in my garage. I meant to take a reading of the thickness of the rotors but forgot as I was putting things back together. The machine shop said the rotors needed to be turned but otherwise were in good shape. Quick road test indicated that everything is nice a smooth. Thanks

Edit....I did manage to take a measurement of the rotor thickness...came out just slightly over 26 mm. The "ridge" prior to having them turned was very minimal. In Florida our braking requirements are quite low compared to driving in hilly country.

Latest posts