Wheel bearing replace 4x4 front

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike M 4

Reaction score
Just got a quote on replace front wheel bearing on my 02 4x4. Ouch. I think I can handle this one myself, is there a project on the site? I seem to remember one but cant find it for the life of me...

Help please, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

There is a project in the works....kinda.

When I pulled my lower ball joints, I had to remove the axle from the hub. Once you get to that point, pulling the bearing is just 3 more bolts.

Simply put, it is like this. remove wheels and brakes (Rotor, caliper, bracket), pull the center nut off the axle, push the axle out. Pull the three bolts on the back of the hub, remove the bearing/hub assembly. Disconnect the wiring to the ABS sensor. Reverse to install. Not hard at all.

Tom

I did this about three months ago. Not a bad project at all. Check the CV-Half shaft project. Like Tom said it's just three, I think 15MM, bolts that holds the hub in. It took about an hour to do. Good luck.

Mike,

I'll be doing the same job next weekend on my '03. I'm getting the part for~$150 from our site sponsor, Walls Lincoln Mercury. You will also need a new wheel hub retainer nut & washer assy (these are not reusable per the workshop manual). ~$10.95. See the below thread...lots of good advice from other members.

Rampo

Thanks guys,

Next weekend it is. FYI, I think that there is a ball joint replacement project that included bearings on an exploder site. I have a copy saved somewhere. If you google exporer ball joint replacement you should find it.

180 or so is a good price for the assembly and associated parts?

Mike