Wheel Slip while driving in rainy weather.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Carter

Reaction score
I have a 2001 4x2 Explorer Sport Trac with BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires and Rancho shocks. I also have a 4:10 limited slip differential. When it rains and I accelerate I have no traction... My RPM will go up to 4000 and it finally accelerates but the back in of the truck will swing back and forth out of control What could be the problem? The Ford dealer says nothing is wrong. The tires still have plenty of tread and I have the OEM bed and tonneu cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the tires bald or getting there, that could be a problem. The good and bad thing with the ST's are they have fiberglass beds, (no rust)good, (no weight)bad. Do you have the o.e. bed cover, that adds weight. helped me out when I got mine. Just try not to launch it so hard and maybe add some weight in the bed. Good luck. Jerry

Many all terain tires are not as good on wet pavement, as a street tire. Also if you push to 4000rpm on a wet street with tires spining. Your trying to take off to fast. You sort of answered your own question.

Happened to me, too, with those crappy OEM WWranglers. Switched to Michelin street tires. No more slipping. And they're great on ice and snow, too.

It's a simple physics issue.

Way too much perpendicular force being applied to the acceleration device.

In simpler terms, don't give it so much gas.

Give the truck less gas when acclerating..... Change your driving habits,,,

Todd Z