Wheel spacers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil V

Reaction score
Where can I buy some good quality wheel spacers?

I have never liked the idea of them but I need them for my new wheels

Here is a reply that I made on another site about hub centric rings and spacers. Since the 1st Generation Sport Trac is really the same as the 2001-2003 Sport model (also the 2nd generation Ford Explorers), what you are trying to do is the same thing I did to place '16 Ford Explorer 18 inch rims on my 2003 Sport. Since you are 2 wheel drive, I am not sure if the front wheel hub bore is the same size as the rear hub wheel bore size, but for now I'll make that assumption. Without a hub centric wheel spacer the rim will not be easily centered and would account for the shaking you are feeling. I too had that same problem without hub centric spacers.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/wheel-spacers.467489/page-2

Both you two are talking about the same place, Motorsport-Tech in Reno, Nevada. Lenny is indeed the person to contact and very knowable about the products he represents. About a month ago I purchased 4 wheel spacers for my 2003 Explorer Sport from him. The wheel offset on my '03 Sport is the same as the gen 2 explorers. I came upon some takeoff 2016 Explorer OEM 18 inch rims (gen 5) that are 5 spoke and in perfect condition. The two generations have different offsets so I needed custom hub centric spacers with their own studs that matched the center hub of the brake rotor ('03) to the center bore of the rim ('16). In my case the spacer required was 1.25 inch thick and a non stock size so it was a custom size. Without the custom spacers the rims offset would be completely wrong and the rims too far inside the wheel wheel. I have other wheel spacers (1.25inch) from EBay on my '98 Ex for gen 2 OEM Sport Trac rims over 5 years and never had a problem.
(775)351-1000

I don't have any spacers yet, I need them in order to properly mount my new STA wheels. I have been doing plenty of research on spacers today. I really don't like the idea of them but I want to put on the new wheels. The problem I'm having is that the new rims didn't sit fully on the hub of my truck. I feel like an idiot for not noticing it right away or figuring it out but hey, it only took a day.

The hubs are the same size, but the front is much wider than the back. I figured I need a 1 inch spacer in order to have the rims sit where the stock ones do, but if you look at my hub, I think I need something wider in order to account for the 2wd hub. My studs are 1.25 inches and it's over an inch and a half to where the dust cap sits. The hubcentric ring of the spacer might contact it. I don't exactly want to go up to a 2 inch spacer

IMG_1419.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Here is a photo of a hubcentric wheel spacer. See the lip where the rim would fit? It bulges out on the inside of the spacer. I don't want that to prevent me from sliding it all the way onto my rotor/hub assembly

Anyways thanks for your help. I have looked at Motorsport Tech and it definitely seems like that's what I need. Steel spacers seem like the better option

What you need are billet aluminum spacers that are hub centric to wheel centric. The hubs on the brake rotors have a bore size of 70.5 in diameter. The rim or wheel has a smaller bore size diameter (63.4) then the brake hub. This is the reason the rim will not press all the way up to the back of the brake hub itself. To compensate for the difference in size of the brake hub rotor bore and the wheel bore it requires a hub centric bore size (70.5) to wheel centric bore (63.4). I and others have found that 1.25 inch thick is enough to make up for the wheel offset difference.
I have ran similar aluminum spacers on my other '98 Explorer just like in the second picture you posted earlier. I have run them for over 5 years with no problems. They must be installed properly in the first place and torqued down.
The lip on the outside spacer is what centers the rim itself and fits inside the rim center bore. This allows the rim to fit perfectly flat against the spacer surface.
I hope that, I am not insulting you with details, but It took me a while for me to understand how the spacers really functioned with peace of mind.

I know exactly what you’re saying and I do appreciate the help but I’m 100% positive that the stock wheels as well as the Adrenalin wheels are 70.5mm. I’ve never been very good at explaining things but I’ll try again. The wheels went on the rear no problem because the hub only sits out about half an inch. In the front since the hub is so big the part of the rim where the centre cap goes contacts the very outside point of the hub. The wheel slides on no problem it just won’t go that extra couple mm that it needs to fully seat. With that being said I know I need hubcentric wheel spacers. I wouldn’t mess with anything else. My only concern is the spacer not sliding on all the way due to the size of the hub

I stand corrected about the wheel bore size is indeed 70.5mm for that rim, sorry for the confusion. I now understand your problem with the front hub with the dust cover cap protruding too far through the wheel hole bore.

It's okay. I really appreciate the help. I just ordered 2 inch wheel spacers as I believe 1.5 inch wouldn't be enough and I don't exactly want to have to grind off part of the hub every brake job. Plus moving the rims out should make for a pretty mean stance.

I ordered these:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4pc-2-5x4-5...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

They look like good quality and has lots of positive reviews. I checked out spacers from Motorsport Tech and it would cost me close to $500 for a set by the time they are shipped and I pay taxes and duties on them.

As you said you have had good luck with ebay spacers for 5 years so I figured I'd give it a shot

They do look like good quality and very similar to the ones from Motorsport Tech. I also used Loctite on the spacers just for extra insurance which many others have recommended.

So they cancelled my order because I told them I have a RWD. They said even the 2 inch won't fit however I'm going to contact motorsport tech, talk to them about it and order from them. I'd trust their stuff more because of the lifetime warranty. The aluminum ones would end up being a lot less expensive than the steel which I priced out.

Did you end up getting steel or aluminum and how have they held up?

Also which loctite did you use I've read some people use blue and others red. I will be taking them off once a year to put winter wheels/tires on

I used aluminum spacers on both vehicles. They are light weight, very solid and easy to handle. They all have held up just fine, but you must start the lug nuts by hand to avoid cross threading.

I used the blue loctite which is removal without heat and very good medium strength. I only placed the loctite on the original brake wheel studs then torqued them on the wheel spacer. Of course the rim lug nuts must also be torqued to the proper amount for the rim.

On some cheaper EBay spacers the center bore of the spacer was a hair undersized (bad machining) and was hard to separate them back off the center brake hub without a fight. I didn't have that problem with the ones from Motorsport Tech and they came off and on making for easy repairs or rim changing.

So I placed the order with Motorsport Tech. Came out to $360 Canadian. Probably get dinged at the border but atleast I'll have peace of mind that I'll have the best spacers available. He is custom making the 2 fronts. Don't know what they're doing as he won't tell me but he assures me they will fit.

I went with 1.5" all around which I think will look pretty good. Thank you for your help Mickey, I really appreciate it

Phil, they are really nice quality spacers and well worth the peace of mind to know that they will last, and you can safely place them on your Sport Trac. I think the 1.5 is ideal, and just a little better than the 2 inch you once considered. I am glad to help and look forward to seeing those babies on your vehicle. :)

Well, the spacers came today so I installed them on and was very pleased with the result. Now to paint the rims black when the weather gets a little nicer. The rims sit nice and flush, it looks really good.

Once again thanks Mickey, you definitely steered me in the right direction with the Motorsport Tech spacers. Very good quality

IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG

Phil, they really look great!! I always loved those rims, but I have never seen them on a 2nd gen Explorer nor a 1st gen Sport Trac. The stance looks perfect, and those 20's fill the wheel well very nice! Just curious if they rub at all, and if the larger wheel size affects the ride quality. They look so good the way they are, so it really wouldn't deter me from getting 20's like those, but I was just curious. Glad I could be of some assistant with the spacers info.:)

I wish I could answer your questions but I really don’t know how it rides or if it rubs. I just threw them on to see how they look / if the spacers fit. I’ll let you know as soon as I know

I sent my gauges in to get repaired so I won’t be able to drive the truck for a little bit. I’m hoping I have the cluster back by next week

I agree with Mickey, your ST is looking great Phil! I bet your only regret is running out of mods to do on your Trac. LOL Knocking on wood, my 2005 cluster hasn't shown any of the intermittent gremlins "yet". Would appreciate some night pics of your clusters LED conversion after installation. Most, if not all LED conversions I've seen look unevenly lit and don't dim 100%. Also, and if not too much trouble, check to see what brand and type of LED's Circuit Board Medics used. Your Trac just gets better looking every time you post new pics. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hahah yes I am going to miss all the modifications. Maybe time to start a new project after the ST is finished in a couple months. Just 4.56 gears and that's it. It will always be my daily driver since I still love it as much as day 1. But thank you, I appreciate it.

I'm glad yours hasn't started acting up. It's a very annoying problem. Did your compass display ever go out?? I had to solder the chip on mine.

I will definitely be checking what type of LEDs they use. I have LEDs everywhere else in my truck so I am very curious what type they will use. They claim that "our LEDs are specially designed to provide a full distribution of the light." I guess I'll just have to wait and find out.

No compass or other unwanted extras on my XLS, the way I wanted it and less to fail. On our small island of Oahu it's either head towards the ocean (makai) or mountains (mauka). No compass needed. LOL Thanks for any pics and info you can find on the LED's. If they look good, may as well do the conversion while the cluster's out to clean and dust the inside bezel.

Fair enough. That's the way I'd have liked my ST too.. but of course I got it used. I do like the compass / temp display because it's nice to know what the temperature is outside without checking a weather report!

As soon as I get it back I'll be cleaning in there too. It's quite dusty. But for the info not a problem at all, just happy to help

Latest posts