When should I do my first oil change?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Cook

Reaction score
So, Ford recommends oil changes at 10K now apparently. The dealer still recommends 5K, due to Canadian driving conditions (ya know, 10 feet of snow at all times).

However, should I do my break in oil change sooner? When can I switch to synthetic?

I guess your K means kilometers and I'm not smart enough to translate that into miles.

Only on '08's and up does Ford recommend a 7500 mile oil change. Previously it was 5000 miles.

I have always done my first oil change at half the recommended interval (2500 miles) with conventional oil and at 5000 and ever 5000 after with synthetic.

I would do the first oil change at 5K and every 7500-10K miles thereafter.

Also, do a search for a post about the "Myths of oil changing" or something like that. There is a lot of good information in the posted article and the post comments in general.

I believe that you need to do the first oil change at 1000 miles to get rid of the *break in oil* then go to whatever preference and schedule you prefer after that.

Jus my .02

Y'all have a good one

Bob

Justin, I drive according to the extreme service schedule, it and my dealer call for oil changes every 8000 km's. I live in Alberta, so I know what winters are all about.