When to change spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual says 100,000 Miles......

I did them on a at 100+ and they were not that bad.....

I am changing mine every 60K......

Todd Z

The 2000 Explorer we just got has 136,000 miles on the OE plugs. They are coming out real soon.

Going with Motorcraft plugs and Taylor-Vertex wires.

Tom

On my 2001 job 2 ST I changed them at 45k miles and they were shot. Big difference after I changed. Went with the required platinum plugs. I know the manual says 100k but that is crazy, listen to the manual and what the dealer says and you will be dealing with horrible performance. Just my opinion.

Now I have over 6700 miles on my '07 ST and in the summer I will be pulling a plug to see what they look like and what the gap is set at.

Read my spark plug project in the Projects area and you can see pics of the burnt plugs. Also read that each plug was gapped differently from the factory and some of the way out of specs. I guess quality is not always job one.

Does anyone see any issues with Delco wires from Auto Zone?

You shouldn't have any problems. Though, why use an OE fiber glass/carbon wire when a spiral wound stainless steel wire is about the same price?

Tom

XST,

No major noticable changes yet. I did get about an extra 45 kms to my last tank of gas though come to think of it, whether it was related I am not sure.

Dallas

Caymen are you saying the JBA or Taylor-vortex wires are stainless? Is there anything

at say auto-zone or parts america or CAP that is stainless or must I go web?

Joseymack

Latest posts