When to replace the serpentine belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have ~77k miles on my 2001, I am seeking opinions on when to replace the serpentine belt. Is the belt designed to last 50K, 75K, or 100K. At this time I have not notice any problems with the belt.

I will be driving cross country next week from AZ to VA.

Thanks,

If it were me...I would replace it now, and have any other routine maintaince that is overdue or might come due while on the road done now, before you go.

Oh, but try not to have the work done the day or even the day before you leave. Would be nice to drive her for a couple of days between the maint and before the long trip just to make sure all is well.

TJR

Oh and if you don't have time to change it or get it changed, I suppose you could take a spare with you. I think that's a "field serviceable component"...at least in a worst-case situation. ;)

TJR

Yes, Change it NOW and keep the old one as a road spare...

I do mine every 30 K

Todd Z

I used to work for Dayco Corp. The serpentine belts are incredibly strong and long-lasting. If it is not frayed or rubber cracked, I wouldn't worry about it. There are several yards of kevlar fiber in those belts and they are extremely tough and strong.

The tensioner is likely the weak link in the drive belt system. I'd be more worried about the spring failing due to fatigue or the bearing failing in the pulley.

Latest posts