When will I listen?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
I KNEW the radiator hose would rub on the dipstick, but I didn't check it until last Saturday. Yep, hole worn in the cover and dent worn in the hose. It sure felt deep, so I looked for a new hose. NO ONE in Tomball, Texas even lists one! That includes AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and NAPA. All it would have taken is a quick check and tie it up, but I never did do it.

Traded trucks with my wife on Monday, and intended to go to the dealer. Called the nearest dealer from work and he wanted $45! I started looking for websites to get a part number so I could maybe get back to a parts store and give them the number, and Pep Boys comes up. I forgot about them. I called, and they said they had a hose for it, for $13.99. I go over there at lunch, and the hose is about a foot too short! I start looking around, and find a hose repair kit complete with barbed fittings, sealant, and hose clamps. When I put it on that night, though, the barbed fitting melts and collapses after a short drive! I suddenly have to find a connector. What do I find that fits? FENCE POST! Well, at least I have a few weeks to find a hose before it rusts through! Anybody know the part number for a 2003?

Last edited by a moderator:
The dent in the hose was pretty deep, and I felt it significantly reduced the strength of the hose. Rather than subject my wife to a broken truck, I wanted to fix it before it happened.

To resolve it once you get the new hose:

Get a 1/2 inch drive extension that is about a foot long, Insert it into the dip stick tube. Pry the opposite way from where it was rubbing. It will bend the bracket and not hurt the tube. Ensure you stick the extension at least 4 or 5 inches into the tube. This will prevent the top of the tube from being damaged.

I found mine laying on top of the dipstick, also. I put a small rubber hose on a ty-rap and suspended it from the AC tubing above it.

To who ever gave the heads up, thanks..;)

Do a search for "radiator hose", all posts, message text, and you will come up with a few entries. The upper radiator hose has a bad habit of rubbing on the dipstick. Over time, it will wear to the point that it could burst. A quick fix has been to tie the hose up with a zip tie to the AC tube next to it.

Here you go

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Another fix also..

Drivers side back of the valve cover.

[Broken External Image]:

Ford has known about this problem since the Sport Trac was introduced, and even though members here told engineers at every Louisville meet, new Tracs STILL have this problem!

Way to listen to your customers, Ford! :(

Why not just get the hose replaced for free. There is a TSB that addresses the issue, and a redesigned hose.

I had my '03 done over a year ago for free. Go see your dealer!

Search for it in the archives.

Rockauto.com has them for 26.75. An AC Delco hose for 11.59.

You will get the Motorcraft one in a day or two.

Tom

I made a bracket.

[Broken External Image]:

I still need to make it a little nicer, but it works.

Tom

At 83,000 miles on our 2003, any hopes of getting a free one from Ford are gone. And $45 isn't going to break the bank, but $45 for a hose everyone else is asking $15 for is obscene. Even $25 is better. A piece of copper tubing that size would be about the same price, and should last a lot longer.

Anyway, is there anyone out there that has the part number for the 2003 upper radiator hose? Someone that has actually held it in their hansds and knows that it fits? Finding the wrong hose listed at Pep Boys makes me worried that a mail order hose may be wrong as well.

Rockauto.com

Motorcraft number KM-4791, Rockauto part number KM4791. Price, 26.79.

If interested, I can give you a 5% discount code.

Tom

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer!

To show our appreciation, we would like to give you and your friends a special discount on auto parts.

Here's how it works:

- You give this discount code: 252050220024 to friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

- When someone (including yourself) places an order at www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.

* If you are using our Java Catalog, enter your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart

* If you are using our non-Java Catalog, enter your the discount code in the "Discount Code" field of the Shopping Cart and click "Calculate Discount"

- The discount code expires on August 30, 2005; so don't wait!

You may use this discount code as often as you wish until it expires, but only one discount code can be used per order.

**Each month we see people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code.**

Please call or email if you have questions or suggestions. Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

Tom Taylor

VP Marketing

www.rockauto.com

[email protected]

1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)

(608) 661-1376

Tom

Latest posts