Where is the resonator?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Timm

Reaction score
I brought my truck into a shop for an estimate on removing the resonator. I thought the resonator was the squarish looking box closer to the front of the truck from the muffler. Is this correct? He thought that was a cat and said he could not remove it. Am I mistaken?

Should be the exhaust component before the muffler (in terms of exit flow). Your cats should be really close to the engine in the front of the truck.

At least, that's how it is on the Gen2 V8.

I have pics in my library.

The Magnaflow is towards the rear of the vehicle and the resonator is just before it. That's the way they are OEM. The resonator in the picture is in the OEM location.

I deleted it the next day.

Here is a resonator deleted pic:

[Broken External Image]:

You are correct. Its is the odd shaped box just before the muffler. The cats are up front in the Y pipe. I had my resonator removed and had a piece of pipe welded in, in it's place. I left the stock muffler in.It is louder now....though not flowmaster loud.

Take it to an exhaust shop. If the guy you're asking doesn't know the difference, you don't want him working on your truck.

Take it to an exhaust shop. If the guy you're asking doesn't know the difference, you don't want him working on your truck.

Absoulte truth. The terds that originally put my Magnaflow in forgot to remove the resonator and I was pretty annoyed. I went to the shop that had done my last 5 truck exhaust systems and they fixed it. I only went to these new guys because I send them tons of car starter work from my dealership and they share pavement with us! Bunch of retards over there!