Which exhaust to get?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Stockwell

Reaction score
After my last car, I promised myself I would never mod out another car. But obviously being a car guru, thats not possible. My last car was a camaro SS with upgraded headers, no cat, and borla cat back exhaust. So yes it was extremely loud, something I wish to never have to listen to again. I'm trying to squeeze a little more power out of my 02 trac and intake and exhaust are the normal first upgrades. The question at hand is what exhaust can I get that isn't loud my any means? I want it to be very mellow almost like that of my father's 350Z roadster. Any suggestions?

sounds like you need to check out dynomax. the dynomax should give you everything you are looking for! not many of us have the dynomax on the trac, in fact i only know of one other member here with the kit. but i love it and would deffinatly check it out if i were you. also...when you look at dynomax the kit for the S/T has the ultra flow muffler which will deffinatly give you a noticable power increase. its an all around great kit

Haha yeah, but I really appreciate the input, very quick responces I must say. Before my SS I had a V6 camaro and had flowmasters 80-series on it, at high rpms it sounded raspy, pretty much like ass. Since I'm back to the V6 again, do any of you have that same problem?

Mine isn't raspy at all, but I have stock pipes and all cats intact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike I'm considering Dynomax. Was there any special considerations with the installation? If I get it , I'll install it myself so I'm doing research on the matter. Thanks.

Ed

Ok, I went the cheap route by going with a Flowtech Raptor and like the sound of it ALOT! Guys from work say it sounds like the exhaust systems from a Supra, 3000GT and such. Not raspy at all. Low growl at idle and no droning at all. There are pics in my library and the muffler was $20 from NAPA and the tip was $35 from Advance Auto Parts. Total to get it installed and straight pipe out the back was $115.;)

Thanks FlipTrac_511, I never noticed that before. Sadly all those still seem too loud for my liking, but I still would like to hear the magnaflow, dynomax, flowtech exhaust on an ST. For those of you who have either of those would you say its mellower than the ones in the clips? Maybe it's not possible to get an aftermarket exhaust to be as mellow as I'd like. Thanks for all the input though!

I can say mine is mellower than those. It's a single in/single out 2.25" with resonated tips. When it's reved it gives a quick growl and disappears, then goes back to the low rumble at idle. No popping or anything. I've tryed to come up with a way to post it but haven't been able to figure out how to get it recorded and on my computer. (Any suggestions from anyone out there?) The only sound you hear when I really get on it is the "air" comming out of it.

I remember when I recorded my exhaust off my SS I just took my laptop and a computer mic out to my car and recorded it. I also used my digital camera and recorded a video and took the sound off the clip. I don't know if you have any of those at your disposal, but thats all that I can think of.

Stonemiser, if you forward the clip to me I'll update it on the projects page. And if anyone else wants to send me a clip or two of their setup, hopefully different than what's already there, I'll update the project. I would suggest recording the clip in an open area where the exhaust isn't a wall or another large object to avoid getting an echo effect.