Which type of Muffler should i get?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Teitell

Reaction score
i was looking at the flowmaster 60 series but im not sure, i don't want to change the whole exhaust just the muffler. Which sounds the best and adds the most horsepower?

Thanks

Any change will increase the hp by reducing the back pressure....

I think the 60 will be very quiet especially since your using the stock pipe...

Todd Z

40 will be loudest the 50 not so loud, but louder than the 60.... Depends what you are comparing it to.... and since your keeping the stock pipe, it will be quieter than most of the members here...

Todd Z

So should i not keep the stock piipe, I want it to be loud be sound good too, I don't want it to be supper loud where you can't hear anything, i think it sounds best when it is a clear sound if you know what i mean!

thanks,

I think if you went with a 40 series you could keep the stock pipes, If you go with a 50 series, and change the pipe, it will be louder...

My duals with the 50 series SUV - the cats is loud, Not race v8 loud, but it can cause trouble if your not careful..

Todd Z

im leaning towards the 40 seriers but should i get a different tip? Also about how much will it cost, and where should i buy it?

PimedOutSt

You can get it off ebay almost 1/2 the price, thats where i got mine....

You can change the tip, But with the cost of a ss tip, the muffler and installation, you may just want to get the gibson or magniflow bolt in kit.....

Todd Z

Find a good muffler shop in the area.

Todd Z

ok..help me out here...complete novice...i would like to have my ST sound a little louder...what is involved?? you talk about tips, stock pipes etc..what is the simplest way to get some better sound and increase HP??

pimpedoutst...if you want loud then yea flowmaster...but to warn you you will get alot of interior resonation...thats sound in the cab...some people dont care...some people do...onew of my friends ripped off a flowmaster b.c the sound in the cab was wayy too much...i have a dynomax exhaust kit on my "01 and absolutly love it...the sound is great, not too loud but you will turn heads...gibson is good too but i found that the quality isnt the greatest...i know of one kid with a gibson exhsaust kit on his chevy and it shit the bed after a year...but good luck!

mike- start a new message man! but to let you know the cheapest way for HP+sound is to just buy a muffler and use your stock pipes...

I have a Gibson single exit muffler with custom pipes and a magnaflow SS tip. Its enough to add a nice amount of grumble but very little interior resonation. Gibson mufflers are well insulated to keep the sound at the back rather than in your cab!

I have the magnaflow catback system...nice roar on throtle up...no drone in the cab...it is an insulated muffler like the gibson....