whistle or whine on cold mornings

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
Now that that winter has really arrived here and the temps have dropped I have started to notice a fairly loud whistle or whine coming from the engine compartment on cold mornings.

The colder it is and the faster I accelerate the louder it is. I recently put a K&N filter in, just the filter not a kit, any chance that is doing it. I read a couple post indicating it is probably an alternator problem which is probably it. Should I bother try to get it replaced under warranty, is it just an annoyance or might it cause a problem, like the alternator being more likely to give out. Considering the time I had with the dealership getting my power steering fixed Im guessing it will be even more of a hassle to get the alternator replaced. Anyone have the whole printout on the TSB on the alternator problem, that is what it took last time to get the power steering fixed. For now I'll just tell anyone riding with me its the turbo kicking in.

The problem with this is that if your dealer is like mine, they will tell you it's not covered under warrenty since it is an annoyance, not an actual problem. I have it also. Does it go away when the ST warms up? Mine gets louder till I "goose" the gas pedal or take my foot completely off. It will come back later till the engine warms up. I've just got used to it.;)

I have the same thing. From what I got from asking this site is that it is caused by the alternator. there is an actually TSB i think on the problem. I haven't been able to into my dealership but what they shoudl do is change the alternator to a more powerful one. I could be wrong. But that is what i got from teh site. hope this helps.

patrick pierobon

The alternator has a TSB on it for the whine you are talking about. If you live in or travel to and from a cold climate you are covered as long as you are within your coverage miles.

They will remove your alternator and install a higher amperage alternator from the 4-Door Explorer. I had mine replace and it has been perfect since...

I had the same problem as Coastiejoe at about the same time. Mine alternator was also replaced, and the problem has not come back.

And I had the same problem as well. Ford replaced the alternator under warranty ~25K miles ago. No more problems. Do it. You might as well get a new alt. while you can.

My dealership can't reproduce and won't replace mine...it happens two or three times a year (my vehicle is garage kept), on mornings like this where it is one deg outside and right around freezing in the garage.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR.

I would suggest you leave your Trac at the dealer over-night with the understanding they do NOT start it until you come in the next morning. When, you start it and the noise is produced....

Mine was the same on my first ST. It had to be under 10 degrees for it to whine, and they couldn't reproduce either. It only got that cold twice the whole time I was in OKC, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

After driving an ST for three years and about 90,000 miles, I sort of missed the hum, rattles, and whistles. It makes it's own music. I thought I was going to ruin my starter when I first got the Mazda 3. I'd get to a light and think the thing had stalled, so I'd try to turn it back on and hear that grinding noise telling me it was already on.

Mine will do it pretty much continuously until it has warmed up for 5 - 10 minutes. I am taking the ST in for service next week so I will mention it to them along with the TSB and see what they say.

Does the local dealer lose money on warranty repairs, I mean they must get paid by Ford MoCo to do it right, just not as much as a non warranty repair??