Who's ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score
Was watching some Cash 4 clunkers on Youtube and saw the Gold ST in the line-up. Looked like some nice vehicles are getting destroyed...sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
does this mean someone will give me $4500 for my st?!?!

From what I read about the program. Even if your car is worth more on trade in price. $3500 to $4500 is all you will get. If it is on theclunker list...:wacko:

From what I read about the program. Even if your car is worth more on trade in price. $3500 to $4500 is all you will get. If it is on theclunker list...

That can't be right.

Even if your car is worth more on trade in price. $3500 to $4500 is all you will get. If it is on theclunker list..

Well that's idiotic. Way to go government in destroying the natural market value of a good :(

Isn't all the money that is being pumped into Cash for Clunkers (which needs more $ as the news reports) going to cost us more than all the gas that will possibly be saved by switching to cars that are a bit more fuel efficient?

There is no trade allowance on a C4C deal. Just the rebate. The rebate takes the place of the trade allowance regardless of the vehicle's value.

You can opt out of the C4C rebate and build a conventional deal if your vehicle has enough value.

Dunno how the junk yards are going to compensate for all of these. around here I've been informed they are packed!

Woppy,

They aren't. Many junk yards are refusing them because they must directly work with the Gov't.

What would a junkyard do with a vehicle that has most of the functioning parts destroyed by a sadistic (IMO) high-handed government move?

Destroying the engine of a perfectly fine machine still seems wrong; such a waste of engineering.

KL,

Upon completion of a new car deal, the dealership mechanics add a liquid to the engine which renders it useless. After that, they are shipped to the scrapyards where they take off parts such as the catalytic converter, radiator, tires, wheels, and some other stuff like doors or body panels if the car is newer and recognized as one that the government doesn't mind having on the road.

Most of the parts are crushed however, as they do not want to encourage the resale of parts to cars that are considered "clunkers."

I almost feel like its hunting season on trucks like the ST. :huh:

I tried to link the CNN video I got this info from, but its not working. Just go to the website and search their video section for "cash for clunkers"

So do I.

That would be a recipe for disaster if a jealous Ex GF found out the ingredients to that cocktail.

There are a LOT of edits in that CNN video that make me very suspicious and curious as to what is really going on. :huh:

The local news did a blip on this substance.

It's a liquid that is poured in the engine after the oil is drained out. The

motor is then ran until it seizes up. The liquid turns to a glass like substance.

The news also had a salvage yard person on who got selected to receive these cars.

It seems only businesses that had previously signed up to remove mercury switches

from vehicles were qualified to receive these cars.

Then after this ran on the news a truck driver that comes to my farm told me that

was his brother that was on the news. And he told me he has ninety day to get the car

destroyed. But in the meantime he can salvage all the parts he wants.

I can't verify the last paragraph but I saw the rest on the news myself.

new Chad

From what I saw on the news, they cannot sell the motors...they need to be destroyed! I think all of the other parts are re-sellable.

The stuff is called "CLUNKER BOMB" and they pour it into the motor and run it between 2000 and 5000 RPM's and most of the time it takes only a couple minutes for the motor to seize.

The man on the video said they did have one Explorer that took 25 minutes to seize....probably had some Todd Z upgrade parts on it. Just wouldn't die easilly.... LOL!

I think this link will take you to a video clip:

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=8234385

07 ST :)

Latest posts