why does it rub??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipac

Reaction score
so ever since i got my trac, it has rubbed mostly on left turns, but the suspension tires and rims are all stock size. i replaced my front end a while bac and that helped a little but it still rubs. any ideas???

First gen 2001-05? Is the tire rubbing the fender liner, sway bar, or both? Alignment checked? If Gen 1 it's not real common, but I'd guess a weakened drivers side torsion bar or misaligned torsion screw in the key dimple. Were the screws ever adjusted for ride height? Shocks will have little or no effect on height. May be able to compensate by tightening the driver side screw, but mark the screws and measure a point from the lower control arm to the ground before any height adjustments are made. Find a shop that offers free alignment checks right after. PITA, but highly recommend lifting the tires off the ground before adjusting and jounce the front by driving over bumps to settle.

Last edited:
First gen 2001-05? Is the tire rubbing the fender liner, sway bar, or both? Alignment checked? If Gen 1 it's not real common, but I'd guess a weakened drivers side torsion bar or worn torsion bar pad. Were the screws ever adjusted for ride height? Shocks will have little or no effect on ride height. May be able to compensate by tightening the driver side screw, but mark the screws and measure a point from the lower control arm to the ground before any height adjustments are made. Find a shop that offers free alignment checks right after. PITA, but highly recommend lifting the tires off the ground before adjusting and jounce the front by driving over bumps to settle.
yes its an 04, i think it may be rubbing on the fender liner. a weakened torsion bar makes sense because when i worked on the front end, the driver side was lower than the passenger but the torsion bolt was two turns less than the passenger side. i do need an alignment because the wheels are visibly pointing different directions. everyone i hang out with keep telling me to just get a different truck but i really want to fix mine up so i can be proud of it. it might be worth mentioning that ive replaced the upper and lower control arms with the ball joints and bushings already pressed in as well as the shocks.

Just keep in mind camber and toe change when the torsion bolts are adjusted. Reputable alignment shops are difficult to find (at least in Hawaii) and usually well over $100 for a recommended rear thrust alignment. Also check ALL your body mounts if you haven't yet.

If you used aftermarket lower control arms such as Moog or Raybestos, improper indexing or a loose fitting t-bar "hex" may have contributed to slightly lowered ride height. See both links in post.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/replace-torsion-bar.475840/post-3729593
thanks for pointing me towards the text box stuff, been looking around for that for a while and figured it was something that was awarded after a certain time frame or something lol. i got mevotech control arms and the torsion bar fit but im not sure if it is the right fit because i noticed the control arms i took off were aftermarket. ill see if i can get a picture of them later if you know what the right fit is and want to see

Latest posts