Wierd Rattle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
So I have a weird noise that happens only when the motor is under stress (climbing hills/towing) It doesn't happen all the time even then, its usually around 2-2.5k rpm's. Sounds like it's on the drivers side in the front.

Can anyone tell me what it is? Stabs in the dark I know, but can I rule out anything? can I test something/somehow?

For your explanation, I would check the left motor mount. If broken the motor may be lifting under load. The motor will torque over to the passenger side.

Visual inspection says not motor mount. However I'm not a mechanic, just try to be.

So is there a better way to check to see if it is broken? I just crawled under the truck and looked at the mount and didn't see anything that looks cracked/broken.

JD, if you have a floor jack ot bottle jack. Use a block of wood some where on the left side of the motor. when you lift slowly make sure the mount hasnt seperated. Sometimes thats the only way to see it. If it is seperated you will see it within a few pumps. No need to jack against the mount very much.

That doesn't appear to be the problem. Just returned from the garage after jacking it up and it looks the same up as it did down.

Well it was a guess from past experiance. The motor will torque over a little under load. I would look for something that might be vibrating against something else. It will have to be something that is close but not touching now. Just another guess since you say it happens under load.