Wierd TT problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Beaman

Reaction score
Hey guys...so I'm in the process of making my ST a big taller and more mudworthy...lol

But I had a wierd experince when I went to crank my torsion bars today...my driver side bolt was almost all the way in, about 3 turns away from it. I thought that was wierd....seeing that I thought it was still at stock height. Then I went to the passenger side, and the bolt was WAY out compared to the driver side.

One side almost all the way in, pass side stock height...what gives? Backed out the driver side back to where it was, and for some reason, the ST is sits level with 1 bolt in and 1 bolt stock height :huh:

any ideas? and maybe a baseline measurement I should aim for after the TT?

Thanks

I had the same problem or situation whatever you call it. But I was going lower to the ground. What I have heard our situation can be normal. I just had to buy new keyways to get the height I wanted. I know you can buy keyways to lower and raise. I purchased mine from aimindustries.com. Check w/ them and maybe you can get some to raise it more.....

Sounds like you have a weak torsion bar. Was it ever wrecked or suspension damage? If so one bar might have been replaced with the the wrong one. I think the 4x4 bar is stronger than a 4x2.

VERY common. I don't know why, but when we have to adjust ride height on most ST's we have a large discrepancy between left and right. If you adjust them so the same amount of threads show, you generally create a "lean". When you adjust them to restore ride height as well as correct for a lean, they end up exactly as yours are.

If you crank both sides all the way, you will raise the vehicle, but it will be higher on the right side. If you had access to a set of scales, you would also see that the balance is way off. That will cause some poor handling and contribute to a bump steer problem.

To maintain as much of the stock handling characteristics as possible you can crank the left side all the way in and on a level surface, raise the right side to level. Need more clearance? Body lift or aftermarket suspension system.

Mine was the same way. I just turned the driver's side the whole way in and then adjusted the pass. side to even it out. No biggy. I'm not sure if you can use a longer bolt or not. The Key on the inside is what raises the vehicle and with the bolt turned in the whole way, the key is also as far as it can go. There are other keys out there that will give you more lift than the OEM one. I've seen them for sale on EBay.;)

Talk to Todd Z., I think his company sells the longer bolts. Of check out the site sponsors, and look for a link to Zabtech (not sure on spelling, I should know it by now :huh:)

Brett

Honestly I don't think the bolts will help him in this situation.... IT sounds like the spring rate in the bar is just shot and you can twist it all you want, it will either break or just bottom out...

Todd Z

bought a longer bolt from ace hardware grade 8....90mm, worked perfect, TT is done. Ride is fine, I don't think it was the torsion bar being shot, as the bolts werent level from the factory....so, I'm 95% sure it worked out ok,i don't know why one was different then the other... i checked clearance above the torsion key and there seemed to be a good bit of space left, i deff didn't go over 2" probably around 1.75"

Thanks for the help though guys :)